The Delivery Guy

John delivers new catamarans mostly from Cape Town, South Africa, to various destinations around the world - follow his next trip from London, United Kingdom to Fort Lauderdale, USA.

11 December 2012 | North Atlantic
08 December 2012 | North Atlantic
01 December 2012 | North Atlantic
23 November 2012 | North Atlantic
14 November 2012 | North Atlantic
05 November 2012 | North Atlantic
03 November 2012 | North Atlantic
29 October 2012 | North Atlantic
26 October 2012 | North Atlantic
23 October 2012 | Sines, Portugal
06 October 2012 | Brighton, UK
26 September 2012 | London
13 September 2012 | Cape Town
21 August 2012 | Indian Ocean
15 August 2012 | Indian Ocean
07 August 2012 | Nosi Be, Madagascar
29 July 2012 | Mozambique Chanel
27 July 2012 | Richards Bay, South Africa
05 June 2012 | St George's Harbour, Bermuda
28 May 2012 | North Atlantic

A Little Bit of This & That

01 December 2007
John
At the moment we are sailing under spinnaker with the jury rigged halyard and there appears to be no chare - we will check the halyard in an hour or so when we drop the spinnaker for the night. For safety we are motor-sailing thru the night as the sky is overcast with squalls and, as there is no moon visible, it is a bit too dangerous to sail at night with the spinnaker.

As mentioned above, it is overcast and has been since leaving St Helena. We have yet to experience a really spectacular sunset on this trip due to the heave cloud cover. Shaun and were discussing the days of the old square riggers and came to the conclusion that the navigators were brilliant in their work. How they used to find the little lump of rock (St Helena) with weeks of cloud cover preventing star or sun sights, is really brilliant navigation and record keeping to be able to get their ships there safely.

Since leaving the island we have done no fishing - the freezer still has an oversupply of tuna. However, we need variety in our fish diet and tomorrow morning we are going to put out our lines again and see if we can hook a nice Dorado, as we are now in Dorado and Wahoo waters. Tonight it is beef sausages with mash and sauce and sweet corn - Shaheda and Shaun doing the cooking.

This morning I baked two loves of bread, one of which "evaporated" within an hour of coming out of the oven. The second loaf has been put aside for Sunday brunch - fried eggs and bacon on toast.

Thanks to the folks who have posted comments to the blog. Thanks also to Deon (ZS1ZL) back in Cape Town who copies them to me every once in a while. I have replied to a few of them and will continue to do so over the next few days.

On the amateur radio front we have not been too active. I managed to chat to Des (ZS1ZY) and Dennis (ZS1AU) earlier today and received a bit of news from the home front. We will be up on 14237.5 KHz tomorrow (Sunday) at 16:00 Zulu and listen out for any calls. I gave my last report through to Alistair (ZS5MU) on the SA Maritime Mobile Net the morning we reached St Helena and subsequently am reporting our daily position to Jack (AA3GZ) in Pennsylvania in the US.

And back to the sailing and the environment around us. We are in flying fish territory now and have them fleeing from the approaching boat on a continuing basis. These wonderful fish come in sizes from a few centimetres to about a foot in length. Terry, with his size 11 shoe, has managed to pulverize a few small ones that have landed on deck overnight. I must admit that they do smell very fishy at best but when flattened by Terry's shoe, smell worse than a can of anchovies left in the sun.

Well, on that smelly note, regards from Terry the "Flying Fish Pulverizer", Shaun, Shaheda and myself, John
Comments
Vessel Name: Ultima Life
Vessel Make/Model: Majestic 53
Hailing Port: Cape Town
Crew: John
About:
John Titterton has sailed over 350 000 nm in the years he has been delivering sailing vessels. He has sailed the Mediterranean Sea, South and North Atlantic, Caribbean Sea and Pacific with a bit of the Indian Ocean thrown in for luck! This blog follows his deliveries as they occur. [...]

John Titterton ZS1JNT

Who: John
Port: Cape Town