The Delivery Guy

John delivers new catamarans mostly from Cape Town, South Africa, to various destinations around the world - follow his next trip from London, United Kingdom to Fort Lauderdale, USA.

11 December 2012 | North Atlantic
08 December 2012 | North Atlantic
01 December 2012 | North Atlantic
23 November 2012 | North Atlantic
14 November 2012 | North Atlantic
05 November 2012 | North Atlantic
03 November 2012 | North Atlantic
29 October 2012 | North Atlantic
26 October 2012 | North Atlantic
23 October 2012 | Sines, Portugal
06 October 2012 | Brighton, UK
26 September 2012 | London
13 September 2012 | Cape Town
21 August 2012 | Indian Ocean
15 August 2012 | Indian Ocean
07 August 2012 | Nosi Be, Madagascar
29 July 2012 | Mozambique Chanel
27 July 2012 | Richards Bay, South Africa
05 June 2012 | St George's Harbour, Bermuda
28 May 2012 | North Atlantic

Putting on Miles

12 December 2007
John
Yesterday we clocked up 163 nautical miles noon to noon - today we managed 179 nautical miles noon to noon. During the night we had variable winds out of the east between 18 and 30 knots, which helped give us the boost we needed. The current is only flowing at about 1.5 knots but even this helped us along.

I was on watch between 9pm and midnight and during my watch saw three ships. One of them had the lights of a sailing vessel, which was moving along on a parallel course to us and overtook us at such great speed that it must have been big and motoring. Shaheda took the jackpot with ship spotting as we sailed just next to a fishing bank that had the lights of four fishing vessels - all four seen at the same time! So, our score card looks like this: Shaheda: 5 Shaun: 7 Terry: 2 John: 4 More scores in the next blog report.

Last night was also a bumpy one as the seas built up quite quickly with the wind. When I woke up this morning, my mussels were sore and stiff - they had obviously been awake whilst I was asleep, fighting to keep me from rolling around in our world of perpetual motion.

The new moon was visible for the first few hours of the night and this should help us with visibility once we get near the Caribbean as, at present, the nights are very dark and at time it is difficult to determine where the sky ends and the horizon is. The only light has been the fantastic starry sky which has been an absolute wonder to watch when on night watch. The amount of 'shooting stars' I saw last night was amazing. This morning the SFI had shot up into the 90's to prove my theory that the two are related.

This afternoon we turn our clocks back another hour as we have passed the 37deg 30min west meridian, taking us now 3 hours behind UTC/GMT and 5 hours behind SAST - if you live in some other part of the world, please do the time calculations yourself! We are also slowly getting close to the equator and have put a bottle of bubbly into the refrigerator in preparation for that occasion.

Well, as Shaheda bakes fresh bread, Shaun is at the helm, Terry is studying electronics for his ham licence and I finish off this blog report, we all wish you well until the next report. John.
Comments
Vessel Name: Ultima Life
Vessel Make/Model: Majestic 53
Hailing Port: Cape Town
Crew: John
About:
John Titterton has sailed over 350 000 nm in the years he has been delivering sailing vessels. He has sailed the Mediterranean Sea, South and North Atlantic, Caribbean Sea and Pacific with a bit of the Indian Ocean thrown in for luck! This blog follows his deliveries as they occur. [...]

John Titterton ZS1JNT

Who: John
Port: Cape Town