Bookmark and Share
The Delivery Guy
John delivers new catamarans mostly from Cape Town, South Africa, to various destinations around the world - follow his next trip from London, United Kingdom to Fort Lauderdale, USA.

We are under sail and have been since Sunday afternoon after motoring for the previous twenty four hours. Normally we should have winds out of the south or southeast where we are but it has been out of the west. Wherever the winds come from, I am not complaining - as long as we have wind that we can sail with.

In the last blog posting I mentioned the AIS system we have on board. The system lets us see ships from just over the horizon and each ship transmits its name, radio callsign, position, course, speed, destination and a host of other information. It is really a brilliant bit of electronic gadgetry. However, one thing I have noticed over the past few days, AIS aside, is the amount of shipping on our route. Normally on this route to St Helena we see a few ships the first day out of Cape Town and maybe one or two all the way to St Helena. The piracy off Somalia must be forcing many ships to use the Cape of Good Hope route which is the only reason I can think of for the shipping we are seeing.

This morning I noticed another thing I have never seen before. Next to the boat we have been passing little greyish floating blobs - thousands of them! On closer inspection I noticed that they in actual fact little crabs with huge pincers. They range from about an inch across to about five inches in diameter. Now, up to yesterday we had birds around the boat - and no crabs. Today we have thousands of these floating crabs and no birds. If those albatross only knew of the great delight just a day north, there would be a huge pre-Christmas bird feast going on!

Talking of Christmas, we are still considering what to cook for Christmas day. I think Luke has just solved the problem by hooking our second Tuna, a decent sized longfin as seen in the picture above.

So folks, from all aboard we send you greetings until the next post. John.

It's Sunday!

Not too sure if we are happy with it being Sunday or not as we have no wind! But, we have two loaves of fresh bread about to go into the oven to eat with our fresh longfin Tuna that is going to be served as a Tuna salad in an hour or two - not bad for a Sunday morning.

In the early hours of this morning we had the ship "Canelo Arrow" pass us at a great turn of knots. As I type this she is motionless up ahead of us with apparent engine failure. I am sure her engineers have been working overtime to get the main engine up and running again. Not such a nice job when things go wrong. We have not spoken to her via the radio but are monitoring all the shipping passing us via the AIS (Automated Identification System) which is fitted to our vessel. It is quite a brilliant system as it gives us the name of vessels near us, their course and speed as well as a host of other data about it such as next port of call and ETA. Ah, the marvel of modern electronic gadgets.

As there are four of us on board, we are running a three hour watch system and thus each of us have a day off from doing a day watch each four days. Today is my day off and thus I am also the baker and lunch food maker.

Our diesel tanks are holding well and we have no leakage. However, there is still quite a strong smell of diesel in the starboard hull and in the one saloon locker. Adrian and Luke will be giving the area another wash down later today and hopefully, by the time we reach St Helena, we will have eradicated the smell completely. Jackie also appears to be over her queasiness and has found her sea legs.

So, from a slow moving, diesel powered sailing boat in the South Atlantic, greetings until the next post form all aboard - John

On the High Seas - Eventually!
The Crew

Well, we departed the Elliot Basin in Cape Town during the morning of 18 December and proceeded to the fuel dock where we took on about 600 litres of diesel. Then we cast off our lines and headed out of the port with our next intended stop being St Helena Island. It was not to be! Luke reported the smell of diesel in the boat and we soon discovered that our main diesel tank had split with the liquid gold finding its way into the starboard hull. About turn and with workmen working furiously back in the Elliot Basin, the next morning we had two new Vetus tanks installed and at noon on the 19th we were back at the fuel dock to start the process of fuelling up again.

Now we have the wonderful aroma of diesel in the boat, which does not bode well for anybody that has not found their sea legs yet. Although none of us were feeling too good last night, only Jackie is still feeling a bit queasy, which we all hope passes soon.

During the last night we had a large amount of shipping passing us which has been keeping all of us on our toes - we had to change course twice during the night for ships that just did not bother to give us our right of way.

We did get some good sailing in but at about 04:00 this morning the engines were started and we have been motor-sailing since. Alistair (ZS5MU), who we communicate with each day, reported earlier that our wind should change this evening from WNW to SW and then South during the night as a small frontal system passes us.

We put out one of our fishing lines this morning and had a strike within the hour but lost a good sized tuna as quickly as it took the lure. Fortunately we still have the lure! Then to put a dampener on our fishing attempts, we had to take the line in at about noon due to a seal persistently following us - and the sod is still out there as I type up this report. As you may have guessed, we cannot put the line back until the fellow has stopped following us or else he will take the line and also chase away any fish near us.

So, there you have it - we are eventually on our way and heading for St Helena. I will post another update in a day or two but must report that radio comm's is not great.

Regards from all on board - Jackie, Adrian, Luke and myself, John.

Ready, Steady. . . . . . . . well, not quite “GO” yet!
09/12/2008, Cape Town

We should have been off on our delivery today (Wednesday), but due to some shortfalls and delays in the commissioning of the boat, it looks like we will only depart early on Friday morning. Today we hope (wind permitting) to have a test sail and quick shake-down of Oceans Dreams systems and then have any last minute adjustments made.

Thursday is our scheduled clearing out day - a lot of last minute running around and visiting the local port office, immigration and customs office. Then we hope to settle down to a restful night on board and a visit to the fuel dock on Friday morning before departing on our first leg to St Helena Island, a trip of 1700 nautical miles. Lets hope that the winds are favourable and we can arrive in James Bay before Christmas day!

Before we depart I will do a test radio transmission to check that I can post to the blog to be able to keep everybody updated on the trip. So, for now we are all holding thumbs for a good shake-down sail and not too many extra faults found on Oceans Dream.


Oceans Dream is Launched
27/11/2008, Cape Town

Thursday arrive and at noon, so did Oceans Dream with a traffic department escort, after an hours land trip from the Admiral factory in Atlantis, 35 kilometres north of Cape Town. The trailer was backed into the Royal Cape Yacht Club launch area and soon the yacht club crane slings were in place and we had a 40' catamaran flying through the air and slowly being lowered into the water. She looked brilliant!

The Southern Spars crew stepped the mast and boom and then the boat was abuzz with technicians and factory staff whilst Adrian, Jackie and a group of factory management sat down for a quick lunch at RCYC before jumping back onboard and motoring the boat to the Elliot Basin, a smaller yacht basin a short distance from the main yacht club.

The factory has about a week of work to get all systems working and finishing touches undertaken before Adrian and Jackie move out of their apartment and onto the boat. We have done all the non-perishable shopping and need only to move the goods onto the boat as soon as the factory staff are finished and then do the perishable shop.

Luke Tod, our first mate who has undertaken two previous trips to Tahiti and one trip to Nice with me, is due to arrive in Cape Town on Tuesday and we will then start our survey on the boat and have any glitches rectified before we throw off our lines and head out on the first leg of our journey - first stop Jamestown, Saint Helena Island.

Visit Oceans Dream blog (the link is on the right of this page under "Favourites") to get Adrian and Jackie's thoughts on the launch - I am sure they will have a new post soon!

The photo above is Oceans Dream entering the Elliot Basin - sails to be hanked-on in the morning.


Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


John Titterton ZS1JNT
Who: John
Port: Cape Town
View Complete Profile »
SailBlogs Friends
In the Wind Allora 

Powered by SailBlogs