We arrived safely in Recife and spent two days getting the run-around by various officials when trying to check in. The biggest problem was that most of the officials appeared that they had no idea what they were doing.
We moored at the Cabanga Yacht Club, which offers the cruiser all facilities they would want. However, there are no "walk-on" moorings and a person needs a dinghy to be able to enjoy the facilities.
On the Saturday morning I said my goodbye's to Richard whilst Kyle and I took a taxi to the airport - Kyle was to meet his partner whilst I had to get my flight to Sao Paulo and then my connection to Johannesburg and final flight to Cape Town.
So, I am now in Cape Town and have been busy preparing my next boat, A Leopard 46, for delivery to Mahe, Seychelles. More on this in the next blog update. John.
Well, since my last report we have had wind - a kind 12 to 15 knots which was blowing out of the east and certainly let us add on the miles without having to touch the engines. However, that was until this morning (Tuesday March 17) when it slowly started dying on us. At noon today we had 198 nautical miles to Recife and it looks like we will be doing most, if not all, of those miles under diesel power. With all the sailing we managed to do, we have more than enough diesel to complete the journey under motor.
So, the routine continues with us scheduled to arrive in Recife in the early hours of Thursday morning. Nothing on board changes and we keep working our watch roster twenty four hours a day. As we get closer to the coast we have to be even more aware of vessels in our vicinity as we are sure to encounter some badly lit fishing boats and trawlers, never mind the larger range of shipping using the coastal lanes heading north and south.
Two days ago we had a big strike on our new fishing line and Richard pulled in a fantastic Dorado. I must admit that I like the Dorado and prefer it to tuna. Nice sized fillets were done expertly on the BBQ by Richard and it really was a meal to remember. We have the lines rolled up as I think we have sufficient fish in the freezer to last a long time.
Kyle's partner, Brenda, is due to fly out to meet the boat on Saturday morning whilst it looks like I will be hopping on a plane the same day and flying via Sao Paulo and Johannesburg back to Cape Town, arriving home sometime on Sunday afternoon. Richard is staying with the boat and will be helping Kyle sail "In The Wind" up to the Caribbean over the next month or so.
So, as we still watch the flying fish take off in squadrons as we get too close to them, I and the rest of the motley bunch aboard wish you well. I will post a conclusion once we have arrived in Recife. John.
It has been hot and humid the past few days so, with flat calm seas and with no wind we have killed the engine and let the boat come to a stop. Over the side goes Kyle and Richard for their swim in the 4000 metre (13123 foot) deep swimming pool - the South Atlantic Ocean. Picture above.
Yes, today is Friday 13 but we do not feel it to be an unlucky day. Later today, all indications are that we should start picking up some breeze from the east-southeast which should develop over the next 24 hours. Already, as I type this blog report during my midnight to 3am watch, we have a dark cloud bank developing on the horizon to the northeast of us and our true wind speed has risen from 1 to 2 knots from everywhere to 4 to 5 knots from the east-southeast. Lets hope that the number 13 is a lucky one for us!
There has been some maintenance going on whilst we have had the flat calm seas. Kyle serviced both of our engines yesterday and we repaired the faulty fuel gauges which now show that the tanks hold just over a quarter of diesel. That fuel, together with the 60 odd litres in plastic drums is not sufficient to permit us to motor all the way to Recife. However, it will get us back into the wind belt over the next 48 hours and let us do some sailing for a change. At 2am (local time) this morning we only have 777 nautical miles to Recife - another lucky number. However, we will be doing a few more miles than that as we are slowly tracking further north to pick up the prevailing winds. It is still going to be a slow next few days!
Over the past few days we have had some shipping pass near us - near us means that we cannot actually see the ship but it is visible on radar and on the AIS system. Yesterday we had a tanker sailing from Nigeria en-route to Argentina pass about 10 miles away and it was just visible as a pin prick on the horizon.
Yesterday afternoon I also made up a second fishing line with a different lure in shape, colour and the way it is trailed behind the boat. Lets see if this day also brings us some fresh fish.
What today does bring is us crossing the 22 degree 30 minute west longitude meridian, which means that this evening at 6pm local time we put our clocks back one hour after crossing our fourth and last time zone for the trip. The significance or this (for us on board) is that this evening we have a double happy hour and thus two beers each instead of the normal one. This will go down extremely well with all on board due to the high heat and humidity we are experiencing.
Well, that's about all from aboard "In The Wind" at the moment - lets hope that her name plays out to be true later today and in the next few days. Regards from all aboard, John.
Well, today is Wednesday, March 11, and we have been under motor for the last 48 hours and, looking at our weather predictions, will be under motor for at least another 48 hours. There is just no wind! We have under 4 knots of wind at the moment from the east, not enough to even make our sails flap, never mind fill them and get some drive out of them. As mentioned in a previous blog report, it makes no difference if we were 200 nm north of our position - there is even just as much wind there!
Today we are going to inspect our fuel tanks and assess our fuel situation. We "think" we have sufficient fuel to get us to Recife but you will notice the "think" above. This is because we know our fuel gauges are not working properly and our calculations are based on engine hours and not what we actually have in the tanks. We do still have a couple of plastic drums of spare fuel but need to know actual tank fuel remaining.
Fishing is still a "no takers" affair. We continue to trail our line and lure but even the fish seem to be taking things a bit slow - must be the heat or the fact that, due to the dead calm sea, they can see the lure perfectly and are laughing at us as they know it ain't real. Whatever, we will get one soon, I hope.
We were all full of ourselves the other day with predicting our date of arrival in Recife. It is a bit of fun doing so when you have little else to do. However, we will have to reassess our arrival date, never mind the time, in line with the wind situation and add a day or so onto the length of our trip. At noon today we have 955 nautical miles to go but our speed there with the weather conditions we have is anybody's guess.
Well, as you mot probably realise, there is not much going on aboard "In The Wind" and boredom is the word.
Until the next blog report, regards to all from Kyle, Richard and myself, John.
Since my last post to the blog, we have had some "up's" and "down's" regarding the wind - unfortunately, more "down's" than "up's". For our Sunday to Monday noon to noon run we managed 160 nautical miles with the spinnaker up the entire time. We had a good wind, varying between 13 and 18 knots from the southeast. In contrast, we are under motor as I type this (Tuesday, March 10), with not a breath of wind out there and flat seas.
Due to there being no wind, we are all dying of the heat and humidity, both of which are high. However, what the exact temperature is, is anybody's guess as we do not have a thermometer on board. The interior fans are working overtime to try and create some form of air circulation to keep us cool.
At noon today we have 1077 nautical miles to Recife. Looking at the GRIB files we download each day, we are not going to have much wind for the next few days and a lot of motoring and motor-sailing is on the cards. At the rate we are having to use the motor, we are just going to arrive in Recife with enough fuel to motor into the harbour and to the Cabanga Yacht Club! Oh, are we all looking forward to our arrival there!
We have had our fishing line out since Friday with not one strike. I think it time to change the lure from a bright pink one to a more subdued colour as the local fish seem not to like the bright coloured variety.
Richard is our main cook on board and has the continuing ability to concoct brilliant meals - a lot of them cooked on the BBQ on the stern rail. This has an independent LPG cylinder, which is fortunate as we only have two smallish LPG cylinders for the galley stove, one of which has been empty for a few days now. We should still have enough gas for the remainder of the trip but can always turn to the BBQ cylinder if need be.
Today has also been a washing and fixing day. At the moment the boat looks like a Chinese Laundry with washing hanging on a temporary line in the cockpit and on the side railings. Kyle has repaired a badly installed pipe which injects water into the main water tanks from the watermaker and has also cut off the end of jammer for our roller-reefing line. This was so badly installed by the factory that if it was in the locked position, Kyle could not open his main hatch in his cabin. There are a number of other small problems on board that we will get stuck into once we arrive in Recife.
So, lets hope for some wind in the next few days - we desperately need a good breeze to help us along to our destination. If we do dot get wind, we will have to add a day or two onto our arrival time to compensate for our slow progress at the moment.
To all the readers we wish you well. Regards from Kyle, Richard and myself, John.