Bookmark and Share
The Delivery Guy
John delivers new catamarans mostly from Cape Town, South Africa, to various destinations around the world - follow his next trip from London, United Kingdom to Fort Lauderdale, USA.
The Crew and Departure

We are four persons on board - besides myself I have Luke Tod as my First Mate, Renier Grobbelaar from Pretoria and Yonatan Mendoza from Israel as crew. Both Renier and "Yoni" have recently undertaken sailing courses and thus have a bit of knowledge in sailing.

Yesterday (Monday 4 May) we threw off our lines at 12:30 and motored out of Cape Town harbour. We were immediately surrounded by a dense bank of fog with not a breath of wind as we rounded Moullie Point and headed south to Cape Point. It is an eerie feeling being in fog and only being able to see about 20 metres! However, we were land side of the busy shipping lanes and as we slowly motored towards Cape Point the fog slowly lifted and we were able to see the land.

Just after dark we rounded Cape Point and continued to motor on a set route towards Cape Agulhas, the most southerly point of Africa. The sea has been relatively flat and, as I type this, still no wind.

It is 10:12 South African Standard Time (08:12 UTC/GMT) and the alarm has just gone off on the chart plotter to indicate we have reached the Cape Agulhas waypoint and Renier, who is on watch, has now adjusted our course towards the next waypoint, off Mossel Bay. So, we have just started making some north in our course.

The wind predictions for the next few days looks pretty dismal and what little wind is predicted, fortunately, will be from the west. My intention is to continue to Port Elizabeth where we will stop and wait for another Moorings catamaran to catch up to us. The stop will give us the opportunity to fill up our water tanks and top up our diesel whilst also servicing the two Yanmar 54HP engines. From Port Elizabeth we will head east and then curve up the east side of Madagascar, passing within sight of Mauritius.

Well, there you have some information from aboard Moorings A1095. Regards from Luke, Yoni, Renier and myself, John.

The Arrival & Back in Cape Town

We arrived safely in Recife and spent two days getting the run-around by various officials when trying to check in. The biggest problem was that most of the officials appeared that they had no idea what they were doing.

We moored at the Cabanga Yacht Club, which offers the cruiser all facilities they would want. However, there are no "walk-on" moorings and a person needs a dinghy to be able to enjoy the facilities.

On the Saturday morning I said my goodbye's to Richard whilst Kyle and I took a taxi to the airport - Kyle was to meet his partner whilst I had to get my flight to Sao Paulo and then my connection to Johannesburg and final flight to Cape Town.

So, I am now in Cape Town and have been busy preparing my next boat, A Leopard 46, for delivery to Mahe, Seychelles. More on this in the next blog update. John.

The Final Stretch

Well, since my last report we have had wind - a kind 12 to 15 knots which was blowing out of the east and certainly let us add on the miles without having to touch the engines. However, that was until this morning (Tuesday March 17) when it slowly started dying on us. At noon today we had 198 nautical miles to Recife and it looks like we will be doing most, if not all, of those miles under diesel power. With all the sailing we managed to do, we have more than enough diesel to complete the journey under motor.

So, the routine continues with us scheduled to arrive in Recife in the early hours of Thursday morning. Nothing on board changes and we keep working our watch roster twenty four hours a day. As we get closer to the coast we have to be even more aware of vessels in our vicinity as we are sure to encounter some badly lit fishing boats and trawlers, never mind the larger range of shipping using the coastal lanes heading north and south.

Two days ago we had a big strike on our new fishing line and Richard pulled in a fantastic Dorado. I must admit that I like the Dorado and prefer it to tuna. Nice sized fillets were done expertly on the BBQ by Richard and it really was a meal to remember. We have the lines rolled up as I think we have sufficient fish in the freezer to last a long time.

Kyle's partner, Brenda, is due to fly out to meet the boat on Saturday morning whilst it looks like I will be hopping on a plane the same day and flying via Sao Paulo and Johannesburg back to Cape Town, arriving home sometime on Sunday afternoon. Richard is staying with the boat and will be helping Kyle sail "In The Wind" up to the Caribbean over the next month or so.

So, as we still watch the flying fish take off in squadrons as we get too close to them, I and the rest of the motley bunch aboard wish you well. I will post a conclusion once we have arrived in Recife. John.

Friday 13

It has been hot and humid the past few days so, with flat calm seas and with no wind we have killed the engine and let the boat come to a stop. Over the side goes Kyle and Richard for their swim in the 4000 metre (13123 foot) deep swimming pool - the South Atlantic Ocean. Picture above.

Yes, today is Friday 13 but we do not feel it to be an unlucky day. Later today, all indications are that we should start picking up some breeze from the east-southeast which should develop over the next 24 hours. Already, as I type this blog report during my midnight to 3am watch, we have a dark cloud bank developing on the horizon to the northeast of us and our true wind speed has risen from 1 to 2 knots from everywhere to 4 to 5 knots from the east-southeast. Lets hope that the number 13 is a lucky one for us!

There has been some maintenance going on whilst we have had the flat calm seas. Kyle serviced both of our engines yesterday and we repaired the faulty fuel gauges which now show that the tanks hold just over a quarter of diesel. That fuel, together with the 60 odd litres in plastic drums is not sufficient to permit us to motor all the way to Recife. However, it will get us back into the wind belt over the next 48 hours and let us do some sailing for a change. At 2am (local time) this morning we only have 777 nautical miles to Recife - another lucky number. However, we will be doing a few more miles than that as we are slowly tracking further north to pick up the prevailing winds. It is still going to be a slow next few days!

Over the past few days we have had some shipping pass near us - near us means that we cannot actually see the ship but it is visible on radar and on the AIS system. Yesterday we had a tanker sailing from Nigeria en-route to Argentina pass about 10 miles away and it was just visible as a pin prick on the horizon.

Yesterday afternoon I also made up a second fishing line with a different lure in shape, colour and the way it is trailed behind the boat. Lets see if this day also brings us some fresh fish.

What today does bring is us crossing the 22 degree 30 minute west longitude meridian, which means that this evening at 6pm local time we put our clocks back one hour after crossing our fourth and last time zone for the trip. The significance or this (for us on board) is that this evening we have a double happy hour and thus two beers each instead of the normal one. This will go down extremely well with all on board due to the high heat and humidity we are experiencing.

Well, that's about all from aboard "In The Wind" at the moment - lets hope that her name plays out to be true later today and in the next few days. Regards from all aboard, John.

Under Motor

Well, today is Wednesday, March 11, and we have been under motor for the last 48 hours and, looking at our weather predictions, will be under motor for at least another 48 hours. There is just no wind! We have under 4 knots of wind at the moment from the east, not enough to even make our sails flap, never mind fill them and get some drive out of them. As mentioned in a previous blog report, it makes no difference if we were 200 nm north of our position - there is even just as much wind there!

Today we are going to inspect our fuel tanks and assess our fuel situation. We "think" we have sufficient fuel to get us to Recife but you will notice the "think" above. This is because we know our fuel gauges are not working properly and our calculations are based on engine hours and not what we actually have in the tanks. We do still have a couple of plastic drums of spare fuel but need to know actual tank fuel remaining.

Fishing is still a "no takers" affair. We continue to trail our line and lure but even the fish seem to be taking things a bit slow - must be the heat or the fact that, due to the dead calm sea, they can see the lure perfectly and are laughing at us as they know it ain't real. Whatever, we will get one soon, I hope.

We were all full of ourselves the other day with predicting our date of arrival in Recife. It is a bit of fun doing so when you have little else to do. However, we will have to reassess our arrival date, never mind the time, in line with the wind situation and add a day or so onto the length of our trip. At noon today we have 955 nautical miles to go but our speed there with the weather conditions we have is anybody's guess.

Well, as you mot probably realise, there is not much going on aboard "In The Wind" and boredom is the word.

Until the next blog report, regards to all from Kyle, Richard and myself, John.

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


John Titterton ZS1JNT
Who: John
Port: Cape Town
View Complete Profile »
SailBlogs Friends
In the Wind Allora 

Powered by SailBlogs