Bookmark and Share
The Delivery Guy
John delivers new catamarans mostly from Cape Town, South Africa, to various destinations around the world - follow his next trip from London, United Kingdom to Fort Lauderdale, USA.
Port Elizabeth

At dusk we rolled in our fishing line with not anything, other than a few gulls, showing any interest in the lure. So, it was pasta for dinner, cooked expertly by Renier with the sun setting on the horizon behind us (photo above).

Then it was into the night watch again with myself doing the 18:00 to 21:00 watch and the 06:00 to 09:00 watch this morning again. Before the sun rose ahead of us this morning, we had about 12 calamari boats around us with their high intensity lights on - it looked quite a sight!

Shortly before 11:00 we rounded Cape Recife and headed north into Algoa Bay and the Port Elizabeth harbour where the Algoa Bay Yacht Club is situated. We had a berth booked for us by Louis Makendlana, the Operations Manager of TUI Marine in Cape Town, and tied up to the marina at noon local time. We are going to stay here for two nights and depart early on Saturday morning and hope that the winds are more-or-less as predicted in the download I just did. I will check the weather again tomorrow to ensure the systems are remaining stable for us.

So, we are tied up in the ABYC and sampled a few of their beers - amazingly, they taste the same as those in Cape Town! The facilities are fantastic with a small pub, restaurant and a lovely covered balcony area overlooking the yachts and general harbour. Our thanks to the fantastic hospitality offered by the club so far.

This afternoon we need to check our VHF radio as there seems to be a small problem with it, top up our diesel and determine how much we have used motoring for the past three days. We also need to service our engines - then have a few more beers.

So, whilst we undertake our tasks, regards from all aboard Moorings A1095.

Day Two

Our first day had us recording a distance of 134 nautical miles to noon. Not that bad considering that this was achieved under motor alone. Yesterday at 13:30 local time I tuned in to Alistair (ZS5MU) just south of Durban and gave him our position and local weather conditions. In turn we received the prediction for the next 24 hours, which sounded like very much the same as we had been experiencing the previous 24 hours - very little wind.

However, soon after 14:00 we had a very light breeze of around 10 knots develop out of the southwest and we were able to pole out our genoa and gain about half a knot in speed. Hey, that is not much but it all adds up at the end of the day!

We have not put out a fishing line as yet as we are motoring quite close to the shore and have been experiencing a lot of kelp floating around. Some time was also spent pulling the kelp off our rudders during the day. Imagine continuously hooking these large chunks of kelp on the fishing line! The kelp is thinning out and I have made up a line which will soon be trailing behind us with a bright pink lure attached. Let's hope for a nice fresh fish for dinner tonight.

Yesterday we also motored past a rather large pod of whales which kept the crew fascinated for some time. Fortunately we did not have any come too close to the boat. The thing about passing close to whales is that there are always birds around as they feed off the churned up kriel and other small edible sea life. With this pod, there we actually a few thousand birds - a lot feeding but most just sitting on the water with full bellies.

Last night we had some good stars visible between the patches of cloud. The Southern Cross was high off our starboard beam but I must admit that I did not recognise any of the constellations. I do have a great program for my computer but forgot to load it before departing. It is a pity as so much time is spent on watch at night with not much to do and being able to identify the constellations would while away the hours.

Talking of night watches, as we are 4 POB (four persons on board), we have a very easy watch schedule which rotates all the time. We stand a three hour watch and after a night watch you have nine hours off but after a day time watch you only get six hours off. This allows a person to have each forth day off after standing the midnight to 03:00 watch, which I personally find the worst watch. That person then next stands the 21:00 to midnight watch.

This morning Renier woke me during his 06:00 to 09:00 watch as we were off George and approaching a fleet of small fishing boats that were anchored off a small bank, about 20nm off the coast. They were all using hand lines and thus we did not have to deviate too much distance from them. Soon after this our line was in the water but, now at noon, the only interest in the lure has been a couple of gulls.

I chatted to Alistair again this morning and learnt that a South African couple on a small yacht had been rescued well west of Tristan (30deg 15minS 023deg 31minW) by the Brazilian Navy as their yacht was taking on water from below the water line. The couple are radio hams and their distress signal was picked up by the South African Maritime Mobile Network - Graham (ZS2ABK). It is really comforting to have these HAM's on the air and listening to us yachties on the high seas. In another incident a small yacht was found south of the island of St Helena with a broken safety harness attached to the mast and the single-hander not on board. A sad end to the yachtie.

Well, on that sad note I wish you well and report we are all safe and sound and now off the coast of Plettenberg Bay. Regards from Renier, Yoni, Luke and myself, John.

The Crew and Departure

We are four persons on board - besides myself I have Luke Tod as my First Mate, Renier Grobbelaar from Pretoria and Yonatan Mendoza from Israel as crew. Both Renier and "Yoni" have recently undertaken sailing courses and thus have a bit of knowledge in sailing.

Yesterday (Monday 4 May) we threw off our lines at 12:30 and motored out of Cape Town harbour. We were immediately surrounded by a dense bank of fog with not a breath of wind as we rounded Moullie Point and headed south to Cape Point. It is an eerie feeling being in fog and only being able to see about 20 metres! However, we were land side of the busy shipping lanes and as we slowly motored towards Cape Point the fog slowly lifted and we were able to see the land.

Just after dark we rounded Cape Point and continued to motor on a set route towards Cape Agulhas, the most southerly point of Africa. The sea has been relatively flat and, as I type this, still no wind.

It is 10:12 South African Standard Time (08:12 UTC/GMT) and the alarm has just gone off on the chart plotter to indicate we have reached the Cape Agulhas waypoint and Renier, who is on watch, has now adjusted our course towards the next waypoint, off Mossel Bay. So, we have just started making some north in our course.

The wind predictions for the next few days looks pretty dismal and what little wind is predicted, fortunately, will be from the west. My intention is to continue to Port Elizabeth where we will stop and wait for another Moorings catamaran to catch up to us. The stop will give us the opportunity to fill up our water tanks and top up our diesel whilst also servicing the two Yanmar 54HP engines. From Port Elizabeth we will head east and then curve up the east side of Madagascar, passing within sight of Mauritius.

Well, there you have some information from aboard Moorings A1095. Regards from Luke, Yoni, Renier and myself, John.

The Arrival & Back in Cape Town

We arrived safely in Recife and spent two days getting the run-around by various officials when trying to check in. The biggest problem was that most of the officials appeared that they had no idea what they were doing.

We moored at the Cabanga Yacht Club, which offers the cruiser all facilities they would want. However, there are no "walk-on" moorings and a person needs a dinghy to be able to enjoy the facilities.

On the Saturday morning I said my goodbye's to Richard whilst Kyle and I took a taxi to the airport - Kyle was to meet his partner whilst I had to get my flight to Sao Paulo and then my connection to Johannesburg and final flight to Cape Town.

So, I am now in Cape Town and have been busy preparing my next boat, A Leopard 46, for delivery to Mahe, Seychelles. More on this in the next blog update. John.

The Final Stretch

Well, since my last report we have had wind - a kind 12 to 15 knots which was blowing out of the east and certainly let us add on the miles without having to touch the engines. However, that was until this morning (Tuesday March 17) when it slowly started dying on us. At noon today we had 198 nautical miles to Recife and it looks like we will be doing most, if not all, of those miles under diesel power. With all the sailing we managed to do, we have more than enough diesel to complete the journey under motor.

So, the routine continues with us scheduled to arrive in Recife in the early hours of Thursday morning. Nothing on board changes and we keep working our watch roster twenty four hours a day. As we get closer to the coast we have to be even more aware of vessels in our vicinity as we are sure to encounter some badly lit fishing boats and trawlers, never mind the larger range of shipping using the coastal lanes heading north and south.

Two days ago we had a big strike on our new fishing line and Richard pulled in a fantastic Dorado. I must admit that I like the Dorado and prefer it to tuna. Nice sized fillets were done expertly on the BBQ by Richard and it really was a meal to remember. We have the lines rolled up as I think we have sufficient fish in the freezer to last a long time.

Kyle's partner, Brenda, is due to fly out to meet the boat on Saturday morning whilst it looks like I will be hopping on a plane the same day and flying via Sao Paulo and Johannesburg back to Cape Town, arriving home sometime on Sunday afternoon. Richard is staying with the boat and will be helping Kyle sail "In The Wind" up to the Caribbean over the next month or so.

So, as we still watch the flying fish take off in squadrons as we get too close to them, I and the rest of the motley bunch aboard wish you well. I will post a conclusion once we have arrived in Recife. John.

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


John Titterton ZS1JNT
Who: John
Port: Cape Town
View Complete Profile »
SailBlogs Friends
In the Wind Allora 

Powered by SailBlogs