The Vision from Desert Vision

04 March 2013
05 December 2012 | La Paz
02 December 2012 | Isla Partida
28 November 2012 | Isla Espirtu Santo
25 November 2012 | Puerto Balandra
22 November 2012 | Los Muertos
21 November 2012 | Ensenada Los Muertos
20 November 2012 | Bahia Los Frailes
19 November 2012 | Cabo San Lucas
18 November 2012 | Bahia Santa Maria
17 November 2012 | Bahia de Tortugas
08 October 2012 | San Diego
03 October 2012 | Santa Catalina Island
01 October 2012 | Santa Catalina Island
25 September 2012 | Marina del Rey
22 September 2012 | Channel Islands Harbor
17 September 2012 | Santa Barbra
14 September 2012 | Point Conception

Islands Bound

28 November 2012 | Isla Espirtu Santo
Michael / Sunny
11 28
24 31 975n 110 22 529w
Ok, the bobos (pesky non biting flies like knats) won the war at Playa Pichilingue. We slapped a continuous supply of their little bodies all over our skins until we were weary. So after our trip to La Paz yesterday, we prepared to leave the following morning.
Today we weighed anchor and sailed for Isla Espirtu Santo. This is a very rugged and rocky island displaying layers of colorful rock formations throughout its cliffs and hillsides. Although it doesn’t all appear volcanic, it does contain what appears to be a much older and broken down lava rock with many badly wind eroded sand or clayish cliffs and cinder cones scattered about like giant mole hills.
We entered and/or passed over about ten different anchorages along the western face of the island and ended up anchoring in a cove on the northern end between Isla Espirtu and Isla Partida. I chose this anchorage because at high tide we can drive the dingy between the two islands and explore some caves on the eastern side. It was also reported to us that whale sharks were spotted near the caves. These huge creatures are very curious, slow and docile. Apparently you can swim with them if you like but we haven’t seen one yet so I don’t know any more than that.
It seems very nice here and the easy access to the eastern shore will enable us to see the harvest moon rise over the sea’s horizon tonight. So we will probably stay here for a few days.
11 29
We did drive the dingy to the eastern coast of the island yesterday evening. The tide was low so we had to pull it through several shallow areas to get across but it was worth the view. Tall cliffs with water caves lined the shore and we could see down into the clear water four or more fathoms.
After sundowners on Desert Vision, we drove back again at sunset to stand in the shallow water off the sandy beach to capture some photos of the harvest moon rise. The lovely part of this was that the sun was setting over the sea on the west end of our anchorage while the moon was rising over the sea on the east side of the anchorage. We had only to turn ourselves around to experience both simultaneously. It was pretty cool.
The next day we explored by dingy, the cliffs in and around this anchorage and the next one north of here. We came back and swam around the boat to cool off. I cleaned some of the bottom and freed the water speed sensor which had quit working sometime back due to barnacles growing on it. Iris washed the salt spray that never ever dries off of the windows and I drove her to another boat for a “ladies iced tea and cookies” get together while I made 60 gallons of water and repaired my crummy little fuel siphon pump. The boat was a Fantasy 44 and one of prettiest sloops I’ve seen in a while.

Michael
Comments
Vessel Name: Desert Vision
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter 44 DS
Hailing Port: Portland Oregon
Crew: Michael and Iris Boone
About: Retired and sailing the dream.
Extra: !!!

????

Who: Michael and Iris Boone
Port: Portland Oregon