Yacht Destiny

Adventures with Janice and Andy

11 May 2019 | Sisimiut, West Greenland
10 May 2019 | Sisimiut, West Greenland
09 May 2019 | Sisimiut, West Greenland
08 May 2019 | Sisimiut, West Greenland
07 May 2019 | Sisimiut, West Greenland
07 May 2019 | Sisimiut, Fjord No 2
03 May 2019 | Sisimiut, West Greenland
02 May 2019 | Sisimiut, West Greenland
01 May 2019 | Sisimiut, West Greenland
27 April 2019 | Sisimiut, West Greenland
26 April 2019 | Sisimiut, West Greenland
25 April 2019 | Sisimiut, West Greenland
24 April 2019 | Sismiut, West Greenland
14 April 2019 | Fox's Marina Ipswich
08 November 2018 | Ipswich, UK
25 October 2018 | England
23 October 2018 | NE England
20 October 2018 | NE Scotland
18 October 2018 | NE Scotland

Getting Destiny Ready For Lift Out

25 October 2017 | 65 56.5'N:53 40.69'W, Sisimiut
Janice : overcast, warmer 3 degrees, windy 20-30 kts
Well we had our meeting with an Inspector from the Greenlandic Police, who is on secondment from Denmark for a few years and has previously worked for the Danish Immigration Service, so he knew his stuff and was sympathetic to the difficulties of interpretation. Anyway, the matter is resolved. We still have to leave Greenland for a period of time (a minimum of 90 days). The fact that we had already taken immediate action on getting the initial response from Danish Immigration was to our benefit. We re-visited the ship yard yesterday and they are still good to take Destiny out and look after her for us. We have flights booked for 2 November to the UK. Expecting a few days of warmer, windy weather we spent yesterday removing the sails (while they were dry and it was calm). Currently blowing 20-30 knots! Let�'s hope the Weather Gods are kind for the lift out on Monday and the flight home on the 2nd.

So some general information (probably more interest to cruisers). Greenland is independent, however, Denmark still administer the Immigration from Copenhagen. UK citizens do not require a visa to visit Greenland you are permitted only to stay for a maximum of 90 days in 180 days counting backwards. So in doing the calculations, the Police worked backwards 90 days from when we first came to Greenland. However, we came from Iceland. Here is the little known caveat: Denmark wants it all her own way; Greenland is not part of Europe, not part of Schengen but days that you spend in any Scandic country (both Schengen & European!) are counted against you. Therefore, any time spent in Iceland say; a key location for a lot of boats starting their Greenland cruise and where many were delayed for several weeks this year due to the ice (or any other Scandic country �- Norway, Faroes, Denmark, Finland, Sweden) is taken from the 90 days you then have available to stay in Greenland. The re is no legal way to extend this say if you wish to over-winter with your boat in Greenland; the boat may be here but not the crew, unless you are Scandinavian. Force Majeure is not a reason as the ice comes every year. So there it is, if you winter your boat here you could change the crew every 90 days possibly; the penalty for getting caught is 3 to 5 years ban from entry to any Danish dependency, plus the cost of being expelled from Greenland etc.

Picture: Dave putting up the Greenlandic courtesy flag
Comments
Vessel Name: Yacht Destiny
Vessel Make/Model: Van de Stadt | Samoa 47
Hailing Port: Stornoway, UK
Crew: Andy and Janice Fennymore-White
About: We built Destiny from scratch in a barn over 8 years and have lived aboard her full time since 2013. We are on a journey to explore our limits without time constraints anywhere the wind may take us. We have spent the last 3 years in the Arctic enjoying endless summer days and long Northern lights.
Social:

Sailing adventures with Destiny and crew

Who: Andy and Janice Fennymore-White
Port: Stornoway, UK