Cruising on Destiny

02 January 2014 | Bantry Bay
31 December 2013 | Careening Cove, Sydney
18 December 2012 | Sydney
18 September 2012 | Coffs Harbour
14 September 2012 | Rivergate Marina, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
12 September 2012 | Coral Sea
10 September 2012 | Coral Sea
31 August 2012 | Noumea
26 August 2012
22 August 2012 | Port Moselle
19 August 2012 | Port Moselle
17 August 2012 | West Coast, New Caledonia
12 August 2012 | Anse Vata
10 August 2012 | Port Moselle, Noumea, NC
10 August 2012 | Port Moselle
30 July 2012 | The seawall, Vila Harbour
25 July 2012 | Back in Port Vila
17 July 2012 | Port Vila
08 July 2012 | Ashore with Sea Fever
24 June 2012

More Loltong

25 July 2010 | Loltong Bay
John and Shauna
It turned out that the village meeting, under the watchful eye of Chief Richard, was to discuss a situation where a young woman had been unfaithful to her husband, with his brother. The facts were apparently admitted and the discussion had two aims - firstly to decide an appropriate Kastom penalty (in this case a pig and 2,000 Vatu as it happened - not the same in all cases apparently) and more importantly to air all viewpoints, gripes and emotions regarding the matter, then to reconcile everyone with each other and with the chief, who in Kastom was offended by the incident. This all happened, although it took a day and a half of meeting to achieve. A really civilised process and outcome, and I am assured by locals that the reconciliation will stick and the matter is now past. This also happened to be Children's Day in Vanuatu - kids are given a gift by their parents and the day is filled with games, performances of songs and little plays, and general merriment. We went over the north headland to the village of Laboultamata for their celebration; we had met a young guy, Wilton, from that village who was over in Loltong, and he invited us. He had been in the Vanuatu national soccer team and is active in soccer and sport generally in his province, Penama. So we were welcomed into the village and found it was really rocking. Under a huge banyan were tables of food, sweet drinks and drinking coconuts. The picaninis put on a show comprising songs they had learnt at school, and to our surprise the only English language song was "Kookaburra sits in an old gum tree". John had brought over a new soccer ball from the boat for the kids and was asked to make a short speech; he then gave the kids the ball and they just went ballistic - so happy! Back at Loltong we had met another family whose baby girl was turning one year old and we were able to give them some nice clothes for her - a couple of things that fitted well now, and a dress for her to grow into in a year or so. The parents were very grateful and offered to share their beef and chicken lap-lap with us. We had seen the meat sitting in the sun all morning waiting to be prepared and cooked, so we found a (hopefully) courteous excuse not to partake and left them to party. So it was a busy day for us, and a memorable one - Loltong is a special place, a peaceful and secure anchorage and a visually spectacular location, and we are sad to have to leave it.
Comments
Vessel Name: Destiny V
Vessel Make/Model: 45' round chine steel cruising cutter - a Joe Adams design and a very sea-kindly crew-friendly vessel
Hailing Port: Sydney, Australia
Crew: John and Shauna
About:
People ask us: "Are you semi-retired?". Well no, we're semi-working. We love cruising, but the problem is we also quite like what we do in our civilian lives. So, for the last few years, we have been cruising over the southern Winter and Spring. [...]
Extra:
Our last severalyears of cruising have been spent exploring New Caledonia and the beautiful islands of Vanuatu, an entrancing country with wonderful, uncomplicated, happy and generous people. This winter we are at home doing some upgrades - navigation, rigid cockpit cover, watermaker and sundry [...]

Destiny's Crew

Who: John and Shauna
Port: Sydney, Australia
Sunshine on blue water, twelve knots on the beam.... The trades are blowing gently and we're sailing like a dream..... Sipping from the cup of life and getting mostly cream....
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats" - Ratty to Mole in "Wind in the Willows"