Cruising on Destiny

02 January 2014 | Bantry Bay
31 December 2013 | Careening Cove, Sydney
18 December 2012 | Sydney
18 September 2012 | Coffs Harbour
14 September 2012 | Rivergate Marina, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
12 September 2012 | Coral Sea
10 September 2012 | Coral Sea
31 August 2012 | Noumea
26 August 2012
22 August 2012 | Port Moselle
19 August 2012 | Port Moselle
17 August 2012 | West Coast, New Caledonia
12 August 2012 | Anse Vata
10 August 2012 | Port Moselle, Noumea, NC
10 August 2012 | Port Moselle
30 July 2012 | The seawall, Vila Harbour
25 July 2012 | Back in Port Vila
17 July 2012 | Port Vila
08 July 2012 | Ashore with Sea Fever
24 June 2012

Aftershocks and mobile phones

11 August 2010 | Lamen Bay, Epi Island
John and Shauna
It is now Thursday, the second day since the big quake here in Vanuatu. The night after, and the next morning, there were several small quakes, felt ashore only, and just manifest as slight instability underfoot for a few seconds. Late yesterday there was a second submarine quake, of 6.5 Richter, again NW of Port Vila and SW of Epi, but this produced no big effects in the islands. The locals are nervous about the possibility of a tsunami, and who can blame them, as most Ni-Vans live within a short walk of the shore, often at close to sea-level. Within a couple of minutes of the first quake, mobile phones started to ring all over the village of Lamen Bay. Everyone in the island villages has a close family member or distant relation in the capital, and the mobile network allows instant communication with the farthest islands. The locals were able to get whatever information was available almost immediately, from their contacts there - the tsunami warning system and access to the internet in Port Vila meant that the villagers outpaced us in terms of up-to-date info, at least until we made contact with Wombat, who are in Surundu Bay with good WiFi. Once we had made contact with Mike and Lynn and organised a radio sked, Mike passed on bulletins from the news agencies' websites as they were posted. The mobile networks in these islands, which are quite new and very extensive (almost all settlements have some form of coverage) have really revolutionised the way people communicate today, and in this sort of situation can be real lifesavers - as quick as shortwave radio broadcasts, clearer and more interactive, and in the absence of internet access they are really reassuring. The phones are the same as we have at home, but very much cheaper, and calls are incredibly cheap. Yesterday we spent several hours with Machin Valia, the high school principal (in the school truck), going down the coast to various villages where there are primary schools, and distributed lots of books, pens, other school supplies, and also clothes - the teachers are often in the best position to see which children really need a new T-shirt or pair of shorts. We were well received in these places and will put up some photos (click here to see them) when we get to Port Vila and internet access. We'll be leaving Lamen Bay tomorrow morning, as the wind is moderating and coming around NE for a couple of days, so this will carry us downwind to Port Vila. Cheers from us.
Comments
Vessel Name: Destiny V
Vessel Make/Model: 45' round chine steel cruising cutter - a Joe Adams design and a very sea-kindly crew-friendly vessel
Hailing Port: Sydney, Australia
Crew: John and Shauna
About:
People ask us: "Are you semi-retired?". Well no, we're semi-working. We love cruising, but the problem is we also quite like what we do in our civilian lives. So, for the last few years, we have been cruising over the southern Winter and Spring. [...]
Extra:
Our last severalyears of cruising have been spent exploring New Caledonia and the beautiful islands of Vanuatu, an entrancing country with wonderful, uncomplicated, happy and generous people. This winter we are at home doing some upgrades - navigation, rigid cockpit cover, watermaker and sundry [...]

Destiny's Crew

Who: John and Shauna
Port: Sydney, Australia
Sunshine on blue water, twelve knots on the beam.... The trades are blowing gently and we're sailing like a dream..... Sipping from the cup of life and getting mostly cream....
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats" - Ratty to Mole in "Wind in the Willows"