Cruising on Destiny

02 January 2014 | Bantry Bay
31 December 2013 | Careening Cove, Sydney
18 December 2012 | Sydney
18 September 2012 | Coffs Harbour
14 September 2012 | Rivergate Marina, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
12 September 2012 | Coral Sea
10 September 2012 | Coral Sea
31 August 2012 | Noumea
26 August 2012
22 August 2012 | Port Moselle
19 August 2012 | Port Moselle
17 August 2012 | West Coast, New Caledonia
12 August 2012 | Anse Vata
10 August 2012 | Port Moselle, Noumea, NC
10 August 2012 | Port Moselle
30 July 2012 | The seawall, Vila Harbour
25 July 2012 | Back in Port Vila
17 July 2012 | Port Vila
08 July 2012 | Ashore with Sea Fever
24 June 2012

Coffs Harbour

01 May 2008
John and Shauna
Well, there was a ferocious Westerly that howled through Port Stephens for a couple of days, but we finally managed to get away on Tuesday morning as it came around to the SW and moderated a bit. We had a sled-ride for the first 24 hours, managing 6.5 to 7 knots in relative comfort with a full main and a couple of turns on the genoa. The Coursemaster autopilot handled the conditions well, and with the cockpit clears down we were nice and dry. The wind died off a little North of Nambucca Heads so we motor-sailed the last little bit which got the fridge extra cold for the celebratory beer on arrival at Coffs after 36 hours sailing. Peter Walduck came down to catch our lines and to make sure the beer was at an appropriate temperature to consume; he wasn't sure on the first one so had another one or two to make certain.
Then on Thursday our friend Peter Carter ("Byamee") drove down from the farmhouse he and Ruth are building up at Kalang. Pete took us up there for a day of bushwalking and relaxation. They seem to have hatched a plot to corner the world market in Jap pumpkins, having amassed a good 3 million or so from their very productive land. We had a lunch spread fit for an emperor, but with a pumpkin tendency - including a fantastic pumpkin salad and the best pumpkin pie we have ever tasted. After walking up hills, down grassy slopes and along crystal-clear Kalang River (which runs through the property) we were ferried back to "Destiny" by Pete, with a few pumpkins to see us off. Peter and Ruth have achieved energy self-sufficiency with a remarkable solar system that allows them to run lights, fridge, power tools and even a welder, without being hooked up to the 12,000 V cable that crosses their acreage. Their property is really spectacularly beautiful and they are generous hosts. Unfortunately, they are going to sell "Byamee" as the farm is now a full-time project for them.
Today we are catching up on some boat maintenance and doing some washing (courtesy of The Duck). We have bought some dive tanks from Mike Davey at Jetty Dive and may take them out for a couple of dives early next week, to the Solitary Islands.
We'll post updates regularly until we go, and when possible after that. Cheers to all!
Comments
Vessel Name: Destiny V
Vessel Make/Model: 45' round chine steel cruising cutter - a Joe Adams design and a very sea-kindly crew-friendly vessel
Hailing Port: Sydney, Australia
Crew: John and Shauna
About:
People ask us: "Are you semi-retired?". Well no, we're semi-working. We love cruising, but the problem is we also quite like what we do in our civilian lives. So, for the last few years, we have been cruising over the southern Winter and Spring. [...]
Extra:
Our last severalyears of cruising have been spent exploring New Caledonia and the beautiful islands of Vanuatu, an entrancing country with wonderful, uncomplicated, happy and generous people. This winter we are at home doing some upgrades - navigation, rigid cockpit cover, watermaker and sundry [...]

Destiny's Crew

Who: John and Shauna
Port: Sydney, Australia
Sunshine on blue water, twelve knots on the beam.... The trades are blowing gently and we're sailing like a dream..... Sipping from the cup of life and getting mostly cream....
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats" - Ratty to Mole in "Wind in the Willows"