Cruising on Destiny

02 January 2014 | Bantry Bay
31 December 2013 | Careening Cove, Sydney
18 December 2012 | Sydney
18 September 2012 | Coffs Harbour
14 September 2012 | Rivergate Marina, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
12 September 2012 | Coral Sea
10 September 2012 | Coral Sea
31 August 2012 | Noumea
26 August 2012
22 August 2012 | Port Moselle
19 August 2012 | Port Moselle
17 August 2012 | West Coast, New Caledonia
12 August 2012 | Anse Vata
10 August 2012 | Port Moselle, Noumea, NC
10 August 2012 | Port Moselle
30 July 2012 | The seawall, Vila Harbour
25 July 2012 | Back in Port Vila
17 July 2012 | Port Vila
08 July 2012 | Ashore with Sea Fever
24 June 2012

Hed blong im i no strait

25 June 2008 | Port Resolution, Tanna Island
John and Shauna
We have been happily ensconced here in Port Resolution for 4 days now. There is so much to tell it would take a book, and we have only touched the surface. But we'll give you a few indicators of what's been happening. When last we wrote, Monday, we had suffered the pleasure of the pig slaughter and looked around the village a little. That night the villagers and those from surrounding villages gathered for "Custom dance" - a night of meeting friends, chatting, exchanging gifts and a slowly increasing pace of celebratory activity: The young men performed a long series of group dances, accompanied only by their own voices - some in traditional dress, others in ARL jerseys or Hard Rock Cafe T-shirts. Then the young women started to join in, in increasing numbers, and everyone had a great time - lots of laughing and simple, joyful social interaction. The girls who were looking for husbands wore a long feather in their hair. One of the young men came around to us every so often with a large plate in his hand, asking "You want taro, or you want cow?". We consistently chose the taro, having seen how the cow was handled and prepared during the day. One of the locals showed a great but polite interest in Eric's wife Jan, quite shyly and harmlessly, but then another local noticed this and explained with a smile "Hed blong im no strait - tumas kava". The villagers rarely get big serves of protein and this was a chance for them to let rip and they certainly took the opportunity, demolishing prodigious quantities of "cow" and "pig". Their stamina was much more than ours, and while most of the yachties apologetically withdrew during the evening, the show continued until 5 or 6 in the morning. Next morning, bright and early, one of the local boys picked us up from the "Yacht Club" and we were off to Lenakel to clear in with Customs. The two hour drive to Lenakel was a revelation. Unbelievably lush and vigorous rainforest with large stands of farmed coconuts and bananas alternated with small farms producing taro, sweet potato and vegetables such as bok choy in quantities and size that looked almost unnaturally large and prolific. All along the dirt road to town little children stood and waved, women walking to market smiled and waved, and everyone seemed just delighted to see us, as if our bumping our way down the track past their school or village, in the open back of the ute, was what they had been hoping for all day. Our driver, Tawa, a 17 year old who "almost has his licence" stopped every few miles so we could take photos. Then we crossed the ash plain surrounding Yasur volcano, This was a stark grey lunar landscape, with not a blade of grass, no strong geographical features, just a thick and constantly replenished carpet of grey-black fine ash. No road is possible as the ash covers it immediately so Tawa just made it up as he went. Then back to farms, coffee plantations and rainforest over the spine of the central mountains, and on the leeward side of the island we descended towards Lenakel. On that side of the island it is drier and cooler but still verdant and fertile. Check-in involved visits to the offices of Quarantine, Immigration and Customs and also involved filling out many, many forms giving roughly the same information over and over again - number on board, names, date of birth, passport numbers, how much alcohol, any guns, any automatic weapons...... The ultimate outcome of the process was to satisfy the officers that we weren't spreading sedition, drugs or pornography, and to seal the deal with cash - 10,000 Vatu (about $120 AUD) - and we started back towards Port Resolution. Yesterday we visited the school. The principal is Lokin, a serious and dedicated man who did his training in the capital, Port Vila, and who manages his school in exemplary fashion given his resources which, are roughly speaking, nil. They have 150 pupils from K to year 8. The government pays the salaries for him and the teachers, but provides nothing else. The classrooms are just the simplest of structures, thatched banana leaf roof and walls, openings for windows, and that's it. One room has an ancient blackboard but little else. No lighting, no electricity, few textbooks, almost no writing materials or paper, and yet the kids are keen and well-disciplined. Classes start at 07:30 and there is a long lunch break then back to it until 15:00. Then they study and do homework until dark as there is no way to study after sundown. Years 7 and 8 live in, in dormitories, even though they live in the village - this way Lokin can keep them on the right track scholastically. Peter and Ruth Carter had worded us up in advance about the schooling situation in Vanuatu, so we brought lots of pencils, pens, exercise books and rulers etc, and some materials for the teachers. These were graciously and enthusiastically received - we were asked to sign the Visitors' Book and given a tour of the school by the principal. We will send much more when we get home. What they really need is cash, to buy in a generator for lighting or study and to help with modern teaching aids such as AV presentations and so on. As for a laptop, well that would be heaven on a stick for these lovely people. Last night we had a visit to Yasur, the volcano - really exciting - more of that next time! Bye for now (and thanks for the e-mails - they are really welcome)
Comments
Vessel Name: Destiny V
Vessel Make/Model: 45' round chine steel cruising cutter - a Joe Adams design and a very sea-kindly crew-friendly vessel
Hailing Port: Sydney, Australia
Crew: John and Shauna
About:
People ask us: "Are you semi-retired?". Well no, we're semi-working. We love cruising, but the problem is we also quite like what we do in our civilian lives. So, for the last few years, we have been cruising over the southern Winter and Spring. [...]
Extra:
Our last severalyears of cruising have been spent exploring New Caledonia and the beautiful islands of Vanuatu, an entrancing country with wonderful, uncomplicated, happy and generous people. This winter we are at home doing some upgrades - navigation, rigid cockpit cover, watermaker and sundry [...]

Destiny's Crew

Who: John and Shauna
Port: Sydney, Australia
Sunshine on blue water, twelve knots on the beam.... The trades are blowing gently and we're sailing like a dream..... Sipping from the cup of life and getting mostly cream....
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats" - Ratty to Mole in "Wind in the Willows"