Cruising on Destiny

02 January 2014 | Bantry Bay
31 December 2013 | Careening Cove, Sydney
18 December 2012 | Sydney
18 September 2012 | Coffs Harbour
14 September 2012 | Rivergate Marina, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
12 September 2012 | Coral Sea
10 September 2012 | Coral Sea
31 August 2012 | Noumea
26 August 2012
22 August 2012 | Port Moselle
19 August 2012 | Port Moselle
17 August 2012 | West Coast, New Caledonia
12 August 2012 | Anse Vata
10 August 2012 | Port Moselle, Noumea, NC
10 August 2012 | Port Moselle
30 July 2012 | The seawall, Vila Harbour
25 July 2012 | Back in Port Vila
17 July 2012 | Port Vila
08 July 2012 | Ashore with Sea Fever
24 June 2012

Gold Star Days

04 July 2009 | Port Resolution
John and Shauna
A gold star day is defined as a day cruising when one spends no money. This concept is illegal in Noumea, but easy to achieve here on Tanna Island. We have been here since Thursday morning - it is now Saturday afternoon late, and although the true definition of Gold Star Day has not been met, it has as near as damn it. We went across to Lenakel, the island's capital, in the "Bus" - a Hilux ute - with the crew from another two yachts who had arrived here just before us - "Matin d'Or", a British-registered Westerly Oceanmaster owned by Allan and Pamela (we met them originally in March in Sydney at Cammeray Marina) and Stephen and Dianne from the cat-rigged "Independent Freedom". The markets were on in Lenakel as it was Friday, and for the total of about $5 Australian in Vatu we bought 40 mandarins, 3 huge grapefruit, a bag of about 50 passionfruit, 40 or so limes, some tomatoes, snake beans, peppers, ginger, shallots and for a $1.75 more three loaves of lovely fresh bread literally from the oven. Today we have been out and about - the village water pump is on its last legs - we had a look at it and with Allan will take some tools and materials ashore to try to fix it tomorrow, as well as the nylon pipe which brings water to them from a stream up in the hills - the pipe is broken and they need a short length of hose and some hose clamps to mend it. We had a visit from Sam who sold us two huge lobsters he had just caught for $6 and a small bag of rice for his wife. A fellow from the next village came asking if we had any engine oil for his generator - he runs it on Saturday night to show a video for the village - we gave him a couple of litres, and he left us a bag full of local snake beans, limes, onions and chokoes. These people are so poor but so dignified and never ask for anything without giving something of value in return. If you give a little child a snack-sized box of sultanas or a sweet, his mother will appear next time you go ashore with some bananas or a few vegetables. They are humblingly genuine and dignified. The school principal, Lakin Iaham, was over the moon about the supplies we brought and thanks everyone who sent them. We took our washing over to the head of the bay to a small village, where they have steaming hot water emerging along the shore through the rocks - Port Resolution is just over a ridge from Mount Yasur, an active volcano and there are steam vents and hot springs all over this area. The women there know which pools are too hot to use for washing the clothes, and directed us to the best ones. There are others so hot that they cook their taro and yam in them - big tubers are done to perfection in 20 minutes and come out moist and fluffy like potatoes baked in their jackets - a great snack after doing the washing! In exchange for the use of their hot pools we gave them some fishing hooks - they catch small silver mackerel in the bay as just about the only protein they regularly get. This afternoon we snorkelled at the entrance to the bay - some of the best coral we've seen and some pretty reef fish. We spied a couple of lobsters but I'm afraid we lack the skills of the local lads in catching them unawares! The water temp is just right - warm but not so much as to make you uncomfortable in a spring suit while pretty actively swimming and diving. Tonight we are having our lobster and some mackerel on "Matin d'Or" with Allan and Pamela. In the morning we will go to the church service in the village, watch the soccer game that is happening (against the next village) and then try to fix those problems we mentioned before. So for now, that's it from us. (This place really is close to paradise, and we'll regret having to move on). Cheers from us.
Comments
Vessel Name: Destiny V
Vessel Make/Model: 45' round chine steel cruising cutter - a Joe Adams design and a very sea-kindly crew-friendly vessel
Hailing Port: Sydney, Australia
Crew: John and Shauna
About:
People ask us: "Are you semi-retired?". Well no, we're semi-working. We love cruising, but the problem is we also quite like what we do in our civilian lives. So, for the last few years, we have been cruising over the southern Winter and Spring. [...]
Extra:
Our last severalyears of cruising have been spent exploring New Caledonia and the beautiful islands of Vanuatu, an entrancing country with wonderful, uncomplicated, happy and generous people. This winter we are at home doing some upgrades - navigation, rigid cockpit cover, watermaker and sundry [...]

Destiny's Crew

Who: John and Shauna
Port: Sydney, Australia
Sunshine on blue water, twelve knots on the beam.... The trades are blowing gently and we're sailing like a dream..... Sipping from the cup of life and getting mostly cream....
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats" - Ratty to Mole in "Wind in the Willows"