Cruising on Destiny

02 January 2014 | Bantry Bay
31 December 2013 | Careening Cove, Sydney
18 December 2012 | Sydney
18 September 2012 | Coffs Harbour
14 September 2012 | Rivergate Marina, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
12 September 2012 | Coral Sea
10 September 2012 | Coral Sea
31 August 2012 | Noumea
26 August 2012
22 August 2012 | Port Moselle
19 August 2012 | Port Moselle
17 August 2012 | West Coast, New Caledonia
12 August 2012 | Anse Vata
10 August 2012 | Port Moselle, Noumea, NC
10 August 2012 | Port Moselle
30 July 2012 | The seawall, Vila Harbour
25 July 2012 | Back in Port Vila
17 July 2012 | Port Vila
08 July 2012 | Ashore with Sea Fever
24 June 2012

Day-sailing (thank goodness!)

25 July 2009 | Sulua Bay - at anchor
John and Shauna
Last time we wrote we had not long arrived in Esema Bay. The locals there were, as everywhere in Vanuatu, friendly and cheerful. Across the channel from the anchorage is Moso Island. There is a large village there - Tassiriki Village. There is no natural water supply on Moro other than any recent rains - no rivers or creeks, no lakes or dams. So the villagers paddle across the channel, through quite strong currents and sometimes significant swells, every day to Meten Village, with whom they share gardens for growing vegetables and fruit. These are used locally or sent to the market in Port Vila. Each morning we woke to hear them paddling past the anchored yachts, singing local songs and clearly enjoying what for most of us would be an effort we wouldn't tolerate. They share the dignity we see repeatedly here - they want to trade, sometimes to sell, but almost never do they simply put their hand out and ask for something. If they want some fuel clothing or food, or if a fisherman has an outboard and needs fuel, they will always offer something of value to them in return. John went up the channel in the dinghy yesterday to troll a line and caught a 3 kilo trevally - not what we call good eating, but certainly a meal for a family. Returning to "Destiny" in the dinghy he came across a villager from Tassiriki paddling home with some vegetables. John asked him if he would like the fish, and he grinned broadly in acceptance, then reached around into his canoe and produced a couple of very large and perfect lettuce in exchange - John took one, about all we could use. We visited Tassiriki yesterday; the chief is David, and he runs a tight ship - the village is really clean and neat; the houses, although rudimentary and spartan, are well-maintained and everyone takes great pride in their community. When we went ashore, one of the young men - Nolan - took us under his wing and showed us the village, the school and the little clinic. We had brought ashore some clothing and packaged food as gifts, and the chief's daughter gave Shauna a colourful local "Mother Hubbard" dress in return. The wind has dropped significantly and so today we weighed anchor and sailed through the narrow pass between Lelepa and Moso Islands, only about 150 metres wide, with reefs either side, out into open water and had a pretty wonderful reach to Sulua Bay on Emae Island. We arrived close to dark and didn't get to go ashore but will take the dinghy over to the village in the morning - we'll let you know what we find.
Comments
Vessel Name: Destiny V
Vessel Make/Model: 45' round chine steel cruising cutter - a Joe Adams design and a very sea-kindly crew-friendly vessel
Hailing Port: Sydney, Australia
Crew: John and Shauna
About:
People ask us: "Are you semi-retired?". Well no, we're semi-working. We love cruising, but the problem is we also quite like what we do in our civilian lives. So, for the last few years, we have been cruising over the southern Winter and Spring. [...]
Extra:
Our last severalyears of cruising have been spent exploring New Caledonia and the beautiful islands of Vanuatu, an entrancing country with wonderful, uncomplicated, happy and generous people. This winter we are at home doing some upgrades - navigation, rigid cockpit cover, watermaker and sundry [...]

Destiny's Crew

Who: John and Shauna
Port: Sydney, Australia
Sunshine on blue water, twelve knots on the beam.... The trades are blowing gently and we're sailing like a dream..... Sipping from the cup of life and getting mostly cream....
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats" - Ratty to Mole in "Wind in the Willows"