S/V Blue Bay

24 January 2020 | Indiantown Marina
11 April 2018
11 April 2018
11 April 2018
11 April 2018
11 April 2018
11 April 2018
11 April 2018
11 April 2018
11 April 2018
11 April 2018
11 April 2018
11 April 2018
11 April 2018
11 April 2018
11 April 2018
12 March 2016 | Stuart, FL
18 November 2015 | Stuart, FL
03 April 2015 | Fort Pierce
27 March 2015 | 25 36.727'n:77 44.374'w

Blue Bay High and Dry!

18 April 2008 | Green Turtle Cay, Abacos
Nancy
4-18-08

Green Turtle Cay, Abacos

While at Marsh Harbor we experienced 30 to 50 knot winds in squalls, while we waited for things to settle down. On 4/8/08 we finally had an opening and crossed "The Whale" or Whale Cay Passage, which can be rough when we get strong north swells combined with the strong winds we get what is called a "rage" and it can be dangerous or very uncomfortable to cross through. When we went through the weather was relatively calm and it was easy crossing. While in "The Whale" we saw some 6 foot rollers starting to come in. It was good we left early. We had our sails ready to use should we have needed them in case of engine failure, but all was well.

We decided since we had to have Blue Bay up to Green Turtle Cay for her pull out soon, that we would try to spend some quality time with Mother Nature. We headed for Manjack Cay on 4/8, which turned out to be the perfect spot to spend a few days relaxing and doing some preparation for varnishing. Dick sealed the glass on the butterfly hatch, and we repaired some small tears in the Isinglass. While here we met a couple in a dinghy who passed by with another 36 foot Bayfield, also friends of the former owners, Bob and Kathy on Zancada. We went snorkeling every day and saw many different fishes, a sea turtle up close, and many more birds than any other anchorage! Dick got a great close-up of a Ghost Crab (see photo gallery). Each day the Spotted Eagle Rays would come into the patch coral to fish; some of these rays were very large! On 4-12 we left to head to Black Sound Marina where we were planning to work on the boat for a couple of days before having her pulled out. There are not a lot of services at Black Sound Marina, but the people were great, and it is quiet and a good place to work on a boat. We applied Sikkens to the bow sprit after sanding and scraping. We had an opportunity to visit AbacoYacht Services, where Blue Bay will be stored soon. We had some strong winds so it was good to be at Black Sound Marina to work. Dick changed the oil in the engine before we left on 4-16.

Hard to believe it is the end of our winter adventure! Here we are on-the-hard with Blue Bay, trying to think of all the things that potentially could go wrong this summer and heading off any problems early. We have taken down all the canvas, the solar panels and wind generator, and the boom and all the sails are stored below. Blue Bay got a wash and we tested all the port seals and hatches. Fuel got topped off, filters changed, and everything to go below cleaned up, dried, and stored. In order to make sure it stays dry below it is recommended that you use something called "Damp Rid" in big gallon buckets, which you place around the cabin. The people here at Abaco Yacht Services will come in and check for any water and they will let us hook up once a month to electric power to top off the batteries. This place has a great reputation for boat storage and that is why we reserved a place here a year ago. Lots of sailboats and even trawlers come here from all over! The boat directly in front of Blue Bay is a 37' Pacific Seacraft from Toronto, Canada.

All of Blue Bay's exterior wood (also called bright work) has been sanded down and varnished for the long summer. Dick has been working on shining up and protecting all the metals, and he washed and sprayed the anchor chain with WD40. Her bottom looked really good this spring and so minimal work was needed there. Inside, she gets all cleaned up and mildew protection is put on any areas prone to dampness. Many things to do to get ready by Sunday (4-20-08) when we take a ferry to Treasure Cay, and then a taxi to the airport to take us back to the good old USA. Then on to Alabama to pick up our van and head for home sweet home! We hope to continue our adventures next fall around mid November.
Comments
Vessel Name: Blue Bay
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Lakeland, MN, USA
Crew: Dick and Nancy
Blue Bay's Photos - S/V Blue Bay (Main)
194 Photos
Created 13 April 2018
132 Photos
Created 12 April 2018
95 Photos
Created 28 March 2018
120 Photos
Created 30 November 2014
100 Photos
Created 21 November 2013
98 Photos
Created 19 November 2012
90 Photos
Created 22 November 2011
26 Photos
Created 2 February 2011
Some photos from our first three winters.
114 Photos
Created 14 January 2010
79 Photos
Created 24 November 2009