Diesel Duck

26 July 2013 | On board Diesel Duck
26 July 2013 | Leamington, Canada
25 April 2013 | Florida
26 March 2013 | Florida
27 February 2013 | Stuart, Florida
10 February 2013 | Beautiful Florida
24 January 2013 | Key West, Florida
26 December 2012 | Miami Beach
07 December 2012 | Miami Beach
27 November 2012 | Stuart, Florida
15 November 2012 | Wrightville Beach, NC
05 November 2012 | Chesapeake City, MD
01 November 2012 | New York, NY
30 October 2012 | Half Moon Bay Marina
29 October 2012 | Croton-on-Hudson, NY
23 October 2012 | The New York State Canal System
14 August 2012 | Leamington, Canada
20 June 2012 | Leamington, Ontario
20 June 2012 | Leamington, Ontario
13 May 2012 | In the Erie Canal System

Shotgun Wedding

31 December 2010 | Isla Elefante, Kuna Yala, Panama
Marlene
A Shotgun Wedding! That is what will happen when a young Kuna man gets caught in a young Kuna woman's hammock in the morning. The rumor spread quickly among the Isla Elefante's inhabitants and we cruisers heard about it soon after.
The tradition among the Kuna Indians is such, that the woman will choose her husband and after the wedding he will move in with her. Now, as it happened just a couple of days before the New Years Eve celebration here on the island, the unmarried daughter of Alberto, the island's owner, was discovered sleeping with a young Kuna Indian in her hammock. As a result, preparations for a quick wedding were being made and relatives were invited to come to the island.
For the New Year's Eve party a buffet, which included a big roasted turkey, was set up for the cruisers and the Kuna Indians on the island. Alcoholic beverages were freely being consumed in large quantities. The music played over the loudspeakers had a lot of beat in it as well as volume and everyone had a good time. An hour before midnight a saila (chief) and shaman (medicine man) were brought in from the mainland in a lancha (boat with outboard). The groom asked the bride's grandmother for her consent to marry her granddaughter. Afterwards, as tradition calls it, the groom has to sneak away three times and the village young men have to chase the groom, catch him and carry him to a hammock, where the marriage ceremony will happen. The bride, of course, will also sneak away three times and has to be caught and carried back to the hammock to lie beside the groom. Finally, when both, the bride and groom are united in the hammock, the saila (chief) will lecture them the rights, what to do and what not to do. The shaman then performs the marriage ceremony. After this, the hammock with the newlyweds gets covered with a large blanket and the grandmother will be sitting next to the hammock making sure that the marriage will be consummated. (Although they skipped this last part for us attending cruisers!) And the happy and laughing couple escaped the 70 or so pairs of eyes to spend some time by themselves.
At midnight Alberto had organized some fireworks which almost blew up all at once, but thanks to a courageous sailor who took over from the slightly drunk Kuna Indian in charge, the firing up of the fireworks went smoothly among a lot of bangs.
Comments
Vessel Name: Diesel Duck
Vessel Make/Model: Diesel Duck 41' - Aluminum
Hailing Port: Toronto, Canada
Crew: Marlene and Benno Klopfer (Photo by Marcie Lynn, Puerto Montt, Chile)
About:
The kid, Dominik, is grown, married to Maryann and they have three kids Heidi + Annaliese + Hans, on their own. We are on the loose. Sold the condo and retired. Benno from an engineering profession and Marlene from a business administrator job. [...]
Extra:
SSCA Members Diesel Duck is designed by George Buehler and is a long range, sail assisted Troller Yacht. Main engine: Perkins M80T, 4 cyl. 78 hp Generator: 5 KW - 115/230Volt - 3 cyl. - Northern Lights diesel Fuel: 3000 liter diesel Water: 800 liter Additional equipments: 3 burner gas [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/dieselduck
Social:

Cruising on a Troller Yacht

Who: Marlene and Benno Klopfer (Photo by Marcie Lynn, Puerto Montt, Chile)
Port: Toronto, Canada