Cruising on Diomedea

Diomedea is a Van de Stadt Tasman 48. The name is the species name of the Wandering Albatross of the Southern Ocean.

24 October 2016
26 September 2016 | UK
18 September 2016 | UK
07 September 2016 | Crinan Canal
07 September 2016 | Craobh haven
31 August 2016 | Isle of Rum, Scotland
31 August 2016 | North and South Uist, Outer Hebrides
31 August 2016 | Skye, Scotland
31 August 2016 | Sinzig, Germany
31 August 2016 | Plockton, Scotland
31 August 2016 | Outer Hebrides
03 August 2016 | Loch Fionsbaigh, South Harris
30 July 2016 | North Uist island, Scotland
30 July 2016 | Isle of Rum, Scotland
30 July 2016 | Isle of Mull, Scotland
30 July 2016 | Jura Island, Scotland
30 July 2016 | Belfast, Northern Ireland
30 July 2016 | Bangor, northern ireland
21 July 2016 | 55 57.75'N:05 54.55'W
15 July 2016

Back in the Water

13 June 2013 | Bay of Islands
David
We had a week on the hardstand at Opua at Ashby’s boat yard. During this time the main thrust was to replace the leaking rudder bearing. The large and heavy rudder had to be dropped out of its top bearings, by releasing the bottom bracket on the skeg. It was the first time we had done this since owning Diomedea so quite an interesting process. Finally got to understand the anatomy of this part of the boat. We have now replaced or serviced every single component of the steering system. Seapower mechanics did most of the work and were very professional. Opua Engineering did the bearing manufacture on a lathe as well as fabricating a beaut SS top plate, a new addition. However several other activities were pursued, including redoing an old area of rust aft related to our previous foray in 2008. I ground it back with the remarkably useful Dremel tool and metal grinding head. Then painted with Altex Carboguard 635. If rust reappears I will probably have to cut out the hull plate and put in a new one.
Opua is a very damp place in winter, often holding fog or heavy moisture in the air. As a result condensation inside boats is very problematic and so it has been for Diomedea. I have spent a lot of time insulating areas of the boat left bare but it has not been enough. The forward cabin has had new headlining and insulation but not in the areas directly under the side decks. We have partly dealt with these by injecting polyurethane spray foam and packing with bits of polyethylene mat. It will need more work than this in the longterm. We also applied stickyback 10mm polyethylene inside cupboards in this cabin to keep clothes dry and this is working reasonably well.
To our horror we found the underneath side of our new custom-made latex mattress developing mildew. The mattress rests on a 12mm ply board which covers a large bilge space in which the hot water service resides. This has probably produced hot air and moisture condensing on the board and affecting the mattress. To deal with this, we put the 10mm polyethylene mat on the under side of the board for insulation and then cut a blue plastic lattice tube mat for the mattress to rest on. This should allow ventilation between the mat and the bunk board. Fingers crossed.
We also replaced an ageing seacock for the grey water system. This system has now been completely revised every inch of the way from tank inlets, lid, outlet, filter, pump and hose.
A relatively new cockpit locker lid was rusting badly so we got the local fabricator to make up a new one in stainless steel and then the chaps in the paint shop did a nice job of matching it up to the rest of the boat. (Thanks Chad et al) We reinstalled the old fittings and it is sitting very nicely.
The keel anodes had corroded badly, and had to be replaced even though they are only six months old. Presumably due to our extended marina stays in the that period.
The Superwind generator had developed a noisy bearing whilst we came across the Tasman. It was taken to Whiting Power in Auckland and they said it is the first time that they have had to pull one of these apart to replace the bearings. The German manufacturer apparently also expressed surprise. I am pleased to report that the unit is now back to its usual quiet self.
We got a quote to re-rig the shrouds as well and let me say it is very competitive. Worth sailing across the ditch just for that. We will probably do this in about a month.
It is interesting looking at boats in the yard. There is a gorgeous Van de Stadt Samoa 47 in alloy. Appears in excellent condition until you look underneath and find yourself staring through some corrosion holes in the hull up into the cabin. Not good.
Next to us was a beaut Kauri planked trawler style boat. Complete recaulking required and there were lots of seams. (A bit like when we had our house masonry repointed ). An excellent fibreglass yacht with a carbon stick had numerous areas of osmosis damage marked out awaiting repair. The owner of a Sweden Yachts 50 footer spent at least a week trying to get the rudder bearings of his boat out, the steel fittings have rusted, not surprisingly. Finally a sledge hammer was deemed necessary and the machinery yielded. A motor boat broke from its mooring in a blow and went on the rocks, torqueing the props. A Cole 43 look-alike was hit by a barge whilst it was on its mooring. An ageing IOR style race boat was having its keel bolts extracted, a bit like wisdom teeth. Very little progress was made in the week we were there. And so on…
Finally all was complete and we were relaunched. The rig was reinstated as the forestay had to come off for our Travelift ride. We cleaned up on the dockside for a day and finally cast off about midday today. Initially we plan to sail up to Whangaroa about 25 miles north of Opua. It was a bit late in the day to do the passage in light winds so we have just headed up the Te Puna inlet to the pleasant anchorage over the hill from the Kerikeri yacht club. (35 11.2S, 174 02E) It is quite similar to the D’Entrecastaux channel or Cygnet areas of Tasmania. We went ashore at the steep-to Ake Ake beach for a walk out to the headland and thence down to Opito Bay before returning. A lot of money is here from Auckland. The days of the “batch” seem to be long gone, replaced by expensive architect-designed piles, most of which are unoccupied in winter. Quite a long drive for a weekend, 4-4.5 hrs each way and the road is not open enough to use cruise control.
We were able to borrow a Nissan Narvara ute for shopping in Kerikeri whilst we were land bound (thank you to Wayne) and also stopped at the friendly Cottle Hill winery run by US sailors Mike and Barb Webb. We enjoyed and bought their Chardonnay and Chambourcin (www.cottlehill.co.nz). The wineries in this area are definitely boutique, selling locally. 700 cases of wine would be their annual output. A reasonable bottle of wine can be had for NZ$20-22. Often cheaper at the cellar door than in the wine shops, as opposed to the situation in Australia. Food however remains continuously expensive no matter where one shops. Petrol is NZ$2.17 per litre also. Ouch. Diesel is 1.40 or so at the gas station but 1.60 at the marina. The Vodafone wifi mobile broadband is expensive, $50 kiwi for 2GB of data. The network is not particularly well propagated either. Cannot get it here tonight and we are only 15 minutes from Kerikeri.
As I write this, the boat is barely moving in the gentle SW flow across the bay. The water is deliciously flat promising us a good sleep. The new moon is due out amongst the clouds and stars. A few lights have flickered on in the bay, some cows are mooing, but there are minimal other aural cues. Perhaps my greatest pleasure this evening is listening to the outstanding selection of music put together by our daughter Hannah for Andrea’s birthday.
Vessel Name: Diomedea
Vessel Make/Model: Van de Stadt Tasman 48 See Pix here http://www.sailblogs.com/member/diomedea/index.php?show=gallery&aid=7118&p=1
Hailing Port: Sydney
Diomedea's Photos - Main
40 Photos
Created 22 November 2015
20 Photos
Created 8 October 2015
34 Photos
Created 18 September 2015
7 Photos | 6 Sub-Albums
Created 12 July 2015
11 Photos
Created 12 July 2015
1 Photo | 8 Sub-Albums
Created 8 June 2015
5 Photos
Created 18 May 2015
32 Photos
Created 17 May 2015
69 Photos
Created 20 March 2015
47 Photos
Created 5 December 2014
14 Photos
Created 5 November 2014
Diomedea's Cruise through the Indo archipelago
1 Photo | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 27 August 2014
40 Photos
Created 25 June 2014
Diomedea cruises to NZ
1 Photo | 25 Sub-Albums
Created 3 May 2013
11 Photos
Created 23 April 2012
1 Photo | 13 Sub-Albums
Created 11 January 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 October 2010
Various destinations
6 Photos
Created 19 April 2010
6 Photos
Created 6 April 2010
3 Photos
Created 6 April 2010
Compass Adjustment 2010
8 Photos
Created 21 March 2010
A visit to this yacht.
5 Photos
Created 19 February 2010
Cruising over Christmas
10 Photos
Created 11 January 2010
Some photos of Diomedea sailing
27 Photos
Created 7 October 2009
4 Photos
Created 24 September 2009
9 Photos
Created 7 September 2009
64 Photos
Created 28 August 2009
75 Photos
Created 9 August 2009
2 Photos
Created 14 July 2009
Diomedea gets the big makeover
51 Photos
Created 13 July 2009
4 Photos
Created 17 April 2009
12 Photos
Created 7 April 2009
6 Photos
Created 8 March 2009
18 Photos
Created 14 December 2008
4 Photos
Created 4 October 2008
1 Photo | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 27 September 2008
1 Photo | 9 Sub-Albums
Created 12 August 2008
1 Photo | 6 Sub-Albums
Created 15 June 2008
In Tonga
6 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 14 May 2008
Doing stuff in the Bay of Islands
2 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 27 April 2008
Fun night at the Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron prior to departure
13 Photos
Created 27 April 2008
The action shots whilst Diomedea is on passage to New Zealand
13 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 27 April 2008
Photos of the Ship of Steel
12 Photos
Created 28 March 2008