Cruising on Diomedea

Diomedea is a Van de Stadt Tasman 48. The name is the species name of the Wandering Albatross of the Southern Ocean.

24 October 2016
26 September 2016 | UK
18 September 2016 | UK
07 September 2016 | Crinan Canal
07 September 2016 | Craobh haven
31 August 2016 | Isle of Rum, Scotland
31 August 2016 | North and South Uist, Outer Hebrides
31 August 2016 | Skye, Scotland
31 August 2016 | Sinzig, Germany
31 August 2016 | Plockton, Scotland
31 August 2016 | Outer Hebrides
03 August 2016 | Loch Fionsbaigh, South Harris
30 July 2016 | North Uist island, Scotland
30 July 2016 | Isle of Rum, Scotland
30 July 2016 | Isle of Mull, Scotland
30 July 2016 | Jura Island, Scotland
30 July 2016 | Belfast, Northern Ireland
30 July 2016 | Bangor, northern ireland
21 July 2016 | 55 57.75'N:05 54.55'W
15 July 2016

Running the Gauntlet in Torres Strait

01 August 2014 | Arafura Sea, 133 longitude
Our challenges came immediately, even before leaving our anchorage in fact. The anchor brought with it some harbour floor hardware in the form of metal piping. Thus it was time for boathook manoeuvres to free the fouling and enable us to move. This was certainly a promise of things to come as you, dear reader, will see. We chose our departure from Thursday Island to coincide with the westward setting flood tide and, wow, did it set to the west. Diomedea was spat out of the Normanby channel with flow rates of more than 5 knots, and the flood continued into the Arafura sea for quite some hours, although at reduced rates. With 20 knots of breeze from behind and very confused seas for miles, it became clear that we had passed the point of no return. The only way home to Sydney now would be anticlockwise around Australia. Diomedea romped along with poled out jib making exceptionally good pace until we noticed some ominous looking clouds racing up astern. No sooner had we commenced preparations for reefing than one of the yachts behind us reported gusts of 50 knots. Yikes!! We got the sail down just as 40 knots swept through. Lucky. Somewhat chastened by this experience we kept the boat well reefed down for our first night at sea. Now, I want you to find a Google image of the Australian Economic Exclusion Zone along our northern coast. This is important. Have you got it? You will notice that there is a notch which sort of corresponds to the Gulf of Carpentaria. By late evening, Diomedea had sailed out of the EEZ into this notch of international waters. This turned out to be a really bad move, because in this patch of water there lies a vast fleet of Asian/Chinese/other fishing boats. With attended and unattended nets strung across the ocean. The fishing boats dare not enter the EEZ as it is regularly patrolled by Australian Border protection planes. The strategy of the fishing boats is to more or less blockade the entry/exit to Torres Strait for fish (and yachts). We spent our first night dodging many fishing boats, none of whom have AIS devices, nor respond to radio calls. Finally dawn came and our spirits lifted. Particularly when a small immature but inquisitive Sooty Tern appeared on our deck having a nice rest. Clearly he was separated from his flock and was probably exhausted. He left a number of calling cards naturally but in his short life he failed to learn one of those immutable laws of physics. That law states that small birds should not fly anywhere near the rapidly spinning blades of a wind generator. The poor little fellow was probably doomed anyway but it at least it was a very quick death. We had been warned about the location of some of the big nets by yachts in front of us so we kept a good lookout. To no avail. Just before dusk we ran over one net which scraped and rattled under the hull but separated and disappeared astern. Looking even harder into the gloaming we failed to see the second one which had only a small unlit buoy marking its location. Diomedea was brought to a sudden stop whilst running downwind as the net entangled itself around our hull appendages. We were held stern towards 25 knots of breeze and the accompanying seas by this anchor. Waves crashed over the back of the boat saturating the cockpit and us. As darkness descended, frantic efforts to bring the lines up the surface with the boathook were eventually successful and we could then chop through them and Diomedea began to move. However, we could clearly see a banner of lines, net fragments, and floats streaming out beneath our transom, definitely still attached to our hull. But to what exactly? The first concern was that the lines were wrapped around the propeller which would by now be damaged or partly avulsed by the large loads placed upon it. Was the prop shaft about to be ripped out of the hull altogether? Checking the prop shaft internally revealed no changes and the prop could be turned by hand without impediment. That was a good sign, but not enough to allow us to start out engine. We sailed into the night in a very heightened state of anxiety, resigned to having no recourse to the engine for the remainder of the passage. We steeled ourselves to keeping a sharp forward lookout in the dark, moonless night and monitored the radar closely. Looking forward proved very confusing because the intense bioluminescence of the breaking waves gave the false impression of lights everywhere. Our anxiety was not helped when, at 2am, a string of remarkably bright lights suddenly appeared right in front of the boat, as if out of nowhere. Close to panic as to which way to turn the boat to avoid this net, I realised that the lights were rising rapidly in the sky. They belonged to an Australian Customs plane which flew low enough that I could almost see the instrument glow in the pilots cockpit. Customs came on the radio and made it clear that we had re-entered the EEZ. We were out of the notch and back in the relative safety of Australian waters. The night grew ever darker, the fishing boats were gone, the radar screen was blank, and Diomedea was alone.
Vessel Name: Diomedea
Vessel Make/Model: Van de Stadt Tasman 48 See Pix here http://www.sailblogs.com/member/diomedea/index.php?show=gallery&aid=7118&p=1
Hailing Port: Sydney
Diomedea's Photos - Main
40 Photos
Created 22 November 2015
20 Photos
Created 8 October 2015
34 Photos
Created 18 September 2015
7 Photos | 6 Sub-Albums
Created 12 July 2015
11 Photos
Created 12 July 2015
1 Photo | 8 Sub-Albums
Created 8 June 2015
5 Photos
Created 18 May 2015
32 Photos
Created 17 May 2015
69 Photos
Created 20 March 2015
47 Photos
Created 5 December 2014
14 Photos
Created 5 November 2014
Diomedea's Cruise through the Indo archipelago
1 Photo | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 27 August 2014
40 Photos
Created 25 June 2014
Diomedea cruises to NZ
1 Photo | 25 Sub-Albums
Created 3 May 2013
11 Photos
Created 23 April 2012
1 Photo | 13 Sub-Albums
Created 11 January 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 October 2010
Various destinations
6 Photos
Created 19 April 2010
6 Photos
Created 6 April 2010
3 Photos
Created 6 April 2010
Compass Adjustment 2010
8 Photos
Created 21 March 2010
A visit to this yacht.
5 Photos
Created 19 February 2010
Cruising over Christmas
10 Photos
Created 11 January 2010
Some photos of Diomedea sailing
27 Photos
Created 7 October 2009
4 Photos
Created 24 September 2009
9 Photos
Created 7 September 2009
64 Photos
Created 28 August 2009
75 Photos
Created 9 August 2009
2 Photos
Created 14 July 2009
Diomedea gets the big makeover
51 Photos
Created 13 July 2009
4 Photos
Created 17 April 2009
12 Photos
Created 7 April 2009
6 Photos
Created 8 March 2009
18 Photos
Created 14 December 2008
4 Photos
Created 4 October 2008
1 Photo | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 27 September 2008
1 Photo | 9 Sub-Albums
Created 12 August 2008
1 Photo | 6 Sub-Albums
Created 15 June 2008
In Tonga
6 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 14 May 2008
Doing stuff in the Bay of Islands
2 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 27 April 2008
Fun night at the Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron prior to departure
13 Photos
Created 27 April 2008
The action shots whilst Diomedea is on passage to New Zealand
13 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 27 April 2008
Photos of the Ship of Steel
12 Photos
Created 28 March 2008