Cruising on Diomedea

Diomedea is a Van de Stadt Tasman 48. The name is the species name of the Wandering Albatross of the Southern Ocean.

24 October 2016
26 September 2016 | UK
18 September 2016 | UK
07 September 2016 | Crinan Canal
07 September 2016 | Craobh haven
31 August 2016 | Isle of Rum, Scotland
31 August 2016 | North and South Uist, Outer Hebrides
31 August 2016 | Skye, Scotland
31 August 2016 | Sinzig, Germany
31 August 2016 | Plockton, Scotland
31 August 2016 | Outer Hebrides
03 August 2016 | Loch Fionsbaigh, South Harris
30 July 2016 | North Uist island, Scotland
30 July 2016 | Isle of Rum, Scotland
30 July 2016 | Isle of Mull, Scotland
30 July 2016 | Jura Island, Scotland
30 July 2016 | Belfast, Northern Ireland
30 July 2016 | Bangor, northern ireland
21 July 2016 | 55 57.75'N:05 54.55'W
15 July 2016

The Flores Report Number One

10 September 2014 | Maumere, Flores Island
The wind remained light for the trip around the scorpion’s tail. The first supposed anchorage was at Tanjung Gedong, right at the northernmost extent of the tail. It proved to be substandard and so it was on to Teluk Hading at the very tip of the tail. One yacht went in there and dragged around, also commenting that there was not much room. As the day began to ebb away we became increasingly apprehensive about finding a spot for the night. It was a relief to arrive at possibility number 3, which was “just right”. The fairly open bay at the village of Waimalung (08 25.353S,122 35.328’E) was very comfortable, with good holding and plenty of swing room. It is not far from Babi Island. Several yacht crews went ashore to visit and were mobbed by the usual crowds of kids all shouting “mister”. We gave some of them self-adhesive heart stickers, other baubles and trinkets. However, there was little to hold our jaded western attention for long. A nine mile trip to another anchorage on the southern shore of Dambilah island, next to mighty Pulau Besar (about 900m high), was made and we anchored in 12m with poor holding inside a fringing reef system. (08 28.621’S, 122 28.631’E). A channel about 75 metres wide was easily negotiated with good light. Generally, the Navionics Gold chart of this region is completely unreliable and bears little resemblance to reality. There is virtually no useable information for this coast and the chart can be more or less ignored. The list price for this chart when purchased in Micro SD card format for a chart plotter is over $600 and is a complete rip-off. Increasingly we are downloading Google Earth images of planned anchorages to allow for accurate plotting of courses around coral reefs. This and the Mark 1 Eyeball. Our trip to Dambilah took us past a village built on a sandspit which must have been wiped out in the 1992 tsunami which also devastated large areas of the Flores coastline. One crew visited the village found that the beachfront doubled as a sewerage system and graveyard. Vast plumes of plastic rubbish streamed out into the sea from the village. This is perhaps one of the worst aspects of Indonesia: rubbish. It is just everywhere and cannot be ignored. Streets, canals, rivers, gorges, national parks, beaches, domestic front yards, markets, and just about every bit of water are all heavily polluted by garbage. The plastic load being introduced into the Flores and Java seas must be beyond measure. The environmental catastrophe is evidenced by the decimation of fish stocks and virtually complete absence of bird life. Burning off the rubbish on land is a universal phenomenon, causing toxic smoke to drift out to sea. Diomedea receives a nightly deposit of soot and ash. There is no structured waste management to be seen anywhere. I tremble to think what the island of Java must be like with its 140 million people. It looks to be no bigger than Tasmania or perhaps Victoria. After Dambilah it was only a hop, step, and a jump to Maumere, the largest town on Flores island. (08 37.982’S, 122 18.573’E) The island’s name comes from the Portuguese in the 16th century and refers to flowers of course. Not on land though, more likely pretty coral heads underwater. We anchored off the Seaworld Resort some 15km east of the town. This proved a good choice. Generally the ports are disgustingly dirty. The resort had a volcanic black sand beach, reasonable swimming, a nice sunset bar, a good restaurant, boat boys bringing all manner of commodities, and an efficient limo service. The resort is reportedly run by German missionaries. There are no water slides or performing sea mammals. There is a small swimming pool full of an alarming green liquid. The crew of Diomedea availed themselves of the chauffeured hire car for the run into town. A SIM card top up, a visit to the Roxy supermarket, and finally shopping in the produce market were the items on the agenda. The produce market was vile. Back to the boat for a shower, the water was brown running off our bodies. Being suckers for punishment, we opted for the trip to the Kelimutu National Park the next day. The park is noteable for its three coloured volcanic lakes in the summit craters. The lakes change colours on a monthly basis. For our visit we had a stunning tourquoise, deep red, and muddy green. We theorised about the origins of the colours with the favourite hypothesis being varying sulphation of minerals extruded from the magma chambers. It was a pleasant cool temperature at the high altitude but this did little to negate the arduous nature of the 6 hours of driving required for the round trip. If you look on a map of Flores, you will see Kelimutu not far north of the town of Ende on the south coast. You will also see the exceedingly winding road from Maumere on the north coast. Our car driver commented that if one were to drive from Maumere to the town of Labuan Bajo on the western end of Flores, it would require 24 hours of driving spread over 5 days. The distance by sea is only 300km. However, we did see all sorts of interesting things: churches bulging with worshippers, pillion passengers doing saltos off motor bikes, cows slaughtered by the roadside, cloves drying in the middle of this highway, buses with crowds surfing the roof tops, buses with goats surfing the roof tops, no fear motor cyclists on the wrong side around blind hairpins, monkeys on chains, and so forth. Our party collapsed into the sunset bar in time for bottles of Bintang beer.
Vessel Name: Diomedea
Vessel Make/Model: Van de Stadt Tasman 48 See Pix here http://www.sailblogs.com/member/diomedea/index.php?show=gallery&aid=7118&p=1
Hailing Port: Sydney
Diomedea's Photos - Main
40 Photos
Created 22 November 2015
20 Photos
Created 8 October 2015
34 Photos
Created 18 September 2015
7 Photos | 6 Sub-Albums
Created 12 July 2015
11 Photos
Created 12 July 2015
1 Photo | 8 Sub-Albums
Created 8 June 2015
5 Photos
Created 18 May 2015
32 Photos
Created 17 May 2015
69 Photos
Created 20 March 2015
47 Photos
Created 5 December 2014
14 Photos
Created 5 November 2014
Diomedea's Cruise through the Indo archipelago
1 Photo | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 27 August 2014
40 Photos
Created 25 June 2014
Diomedea cruises to NZ
1 Photo | 25 Sub-Albums
Created 3 May 2013
11 Photos
Created 23 April 2012
1 Photo | 13 Sub-Albums
Created 11 January 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 October 2010
Various destinations
6 Photos
Created 19 April 2010
6 Photos
Created 6 April 2010
3 Photos
Created 6 April 2010
Compass Adjustment 2010
8 Photos
Created 21 March 2010
A visit to this yacht.
5 Photos
Created 19 February 2010
Cruising over Christmas
10 Photos
Created 11 January 2010
Some photos of Diomedea sailing
27 Photos
Created 7 October 2009
4 Photos
Created 24 September 2009
9 Photos
Created 7 September 2009
64 Photos
Created 28 August 2009
75 Photos
Created 9 August 2009
2 Photos
Created 14 July 2009
Diomedea gets the big makeover
51 Photos
Created 13 July 2009
4 Photos
Created 17 April 2009
12 Photos
Created 7 April 2009
6 Photos
Created 8 March 2009
18 Photos
Created 14 December 2008
4 Photos
Created 4 October 2008
1 Photo | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 27 September 2008
1 Photo | 9 Sub-Albums
Created 12 August 2008
1 Photo | 6 Sub-Albums
Created 15 June 2008
In Tonga
6 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 14 May 2008
Doing stuff in the Bay of Islands
2 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 27 April 2008
Fun night at the Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron prior to departure
13 Photos
Created 27 April 2008
The action shots whilst Diomedea is on passage to New Zealand
13 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 27 April 2008
Photos of the Ship of Steel
12 Photos
Created 28 March 2008