The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Portimao to Albufeira Log

Having had such a fantastic sail the other day we felt for Ros who missed out so we invited Phil and Ros to join us for the first leg of our trip to Albufeira. Stopping here would allow us to plan our tidal entry to Ilha Culatra, a large sand bar island located south of Olhão and Faro where we plan to spend some time. The wind was predicted to be a gentle force 3-4, calm seas and sunshine, ideal.

Arrangements were made the night before as Phil and Ros needed to sort out transport given that our trip was one-way so a car was left overnight in the car park near Albufeira marina.

Having collected them from Club Naval in Portimao we headed out to sea. Ros kept the Captain occupied whilst my new crew mate, Phil helped with the rope and fender work.

Unfortunately there was little wind so we spent most of the day gently motoring until the slightest whisper of wind arrived. We then took the opportunity to roll out the genoa, turn off the engine and coast along for an hour(ish) before the wind disappeared totally.



Getting into our allocated berth was rather interesting as it involved a 180 degree turn followed by a three point turn in one boats length! It was pretty thirsty work for those of us watching Bruce as he made these turns so when Ros suggested a drink at one of the local bars no one complained!

Total distance this season: 71.07 nautical miles


Comments