The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

3 day mini break

My Aunt & Uncle invited us to join them for a few days at theirs for a fun packed mini break.

Day 1

Following a leisurely start we made our way on foot to the local bus station for our trip to Messines...about an 1hr or so inland by way of Lagoa and Silves. We've done this trip before by both car and train but this was a first by bus. Not surprisingly it took us off the beaten track on a number of occasions so we saw a number of villages that we hadn't seen before. Some very nice and others pretty basic.

Ros was kind enough to meet us at Messines and it was perfectly timed for a drink and light snack. Home made crockets and coffee at a bar/restaurant that she is due to frequent for a Xmas lunch in a couple of weeks time with her walking group. If the crockets are anything to go by then the lunch should be great ;-)

For a number of years Messines has hosted a "Gastronomic week" - a week of gastronomy that starts with a food and wine tasting evening at the local community centre. Assuming you like one or more of the dishes from any of the restaurants taking part, you can purchase a full size portion at the restaurant the following week. A simple concept, but very effective at bringing the local community together for a great evening for just a few euro's.


Restaurante "O Petisco", Jantarinho de Grao (Chickpeas stew, farmer's style)


Porches. Porches is a lovely small village nearby Lagoa, situated in the much touristic Algarve region, famous for its handicraft and wine production

As well as the partaking restaurants, numerous wine merchants were also there so you could sample & buy their wine. With more food and wine than you can eat and drink and good company, what more could you ask for?

A better understanding of Portuguese?

Yes please ;-)

Whilst tasting one of the pork dishes, I said to Caroline that I was finding it rather chewy. A Portuguese girl opposite clearly understood what I was saying, nearly choked and then gestured with circular motions of her hand pointing to her ear and made oink noises......arrg that explains it....we were eating pork ear. Lol

Some of the dishes were certainly different....

- Maize porridge
- Cockerel with chickpea
- Cabbage stew
- Cod stew on a bed of bread

....I don't think we'll be ordering any of these too soon, but there were plenty of other dishes that were truly delicious.

Day 2



At 10am the next day we were back in Messines in front of the community centre for an organised 10k run/walk. We know walking is popular in the Algarve (perhaps all over Portugal?) but we didn't realise that every Sunday organised walks start from one of the towns. Buses are laid on to transport walkers from their local community to the hosting town. We were surprised at both the number and ages of the walkers - a significant number being in their teens and early twenties, something we certainly wouldn't see back in the UK! Not only that, a fitness instructor led us through a pre walk warm-up to music and bottled water and fresh oranges were laid on at numerous points on-route....all for free!


Ros & Caroline warming up

With so many taking part we thought the route would be predominantly on the roads around Messines but surprisingly this was not the case and much of the route took us on trails only accessible by foot or on quad bikes. Whilst the views weren't necessarily spectacular, they were certainly nice and we would certainly be happy to do the walk again. I think you're right Ros, this walk would be ideal for any of your visitors given that it's close to home and starts and ends in Messines - just perfect for a lunch or afternoon drink/snack after the walk.


Reportagem Messines TV: Marcha Corrida 2015 (Messines TV report: March Race 2015)

Back at the house - It's been a while since we've had a traditional Sunday roast, so when the aroma of a freshly cooked joint filled the villa it was more than enough to make your mouth water. Not only that but we finished with homemade apple crumble. Thanks Ros, you certainly know how to please your Nephew ;-)

Day 3

10am, another early start....lol. This time we were outside a closed restaurant somewhere close to Silves for another 10k walk....but this time with one of the groups that Ros & Phil walk with - now it's getting serious!

Some three or so hours later we're back at the now open restaurant for lunch and drinks having had a lovely walk, most of it completely off road passing through orange grove after orange grove. The oranges are just ripe for picking and taste just fabulous...eaten as they are or freshly squeezed.

This walking lark is certainly growing on us.....a leisurely start, a leisurely walk in areas of outstanding beauty in the sunshine followed by a leisurely lunch and drink or two in good company - what more could you want ;-)

Thanks Phil, thanks Ros, we had a really great time.


Comments