The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Isla Espalmador to Ibiza, Cala de Port Roig (anchorage) Log

Ibiza is 26 miles long and 16 miles wide and covers an area of 22 square miles. There are three true harbours and hundreds of small free anchorages around the coast which, with the exception of some stretches of low sandy beaches is otherwise very rugged. Rocky cliffs are interspersed with numerous calas (coves or wide bays), many with small sandy beaches - we're spoilt for choice so decided to head off to Port Roig on the southern side of the island only 10 miles from Espalmador and reported to be a sheltered anchorage where we can anchor in 6-10m over sand, weed and rock.

There was little wind so we motored, avoiding once again all the ferries along this stretch of coast. Once in the anchorage, we motored around to determine the depth and observed the seabed, anchoring in a small sandy patch at 6m surrounded by weed.

Apparently Ibiza and Formentera became favourites with the so-called 'hippie' culture, a legacy still evident in a marked tolerance towards unusual clothes and non-mainstream lifestyles - we fit in perfectly here!

Total distance this season: 626.08 nautical miles


Comments