The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Mallorca, Porto Petro to Porto Colom (buoy-anchorage) Log

The day has arrived for us to move along the coast - all of 12 miles to Porto Colom! Sea conditions were exceptionally calm with no hit of wind so we decided to spend the day cala hopping. This part of the SE coast of Mallorca Bruce knows reasonably well having spent many family holidays here so he was keen to see how things may have changed and to visit some new calas'.

First up, Cala Mondrago. At its extremity this is a wide, attractive and largely unspoilt cala between low rocky cliffs. It has four arms two of which are visited by tourists and are buoyed off for swimming. We tried not to be cynical when we noticed swimming buoys extended so far out that there is barely enough room for a couple of yachts to anchor in shelter. Unnecessary in our opinion! Even the 'Starfish' glass bottom day tripper catamaran couldn't land alongside the rocks. They have certainly made it difficult here possibly forcing yachts to head up towards Porto Petro or Porto Colom to the mooring buoy fields. The remaining two arms of the cala offered little protection because they are so small.

Next, Cala d'Egos. A twisty, rocky cliffed cala surrounded by luxurious detached houses. To us this is a really small cala with room for one or two boats. Without doubt you would need a line ashore or stern anchor. We wouldn't have been brave enough to anchor here overnight but would have certainly considered it for a lunchtime stop.

Talking about lunch, our next stop would have been Cala Llonga. The pilot book suggests that we could anchor off Calo d'es Pous at the entrance to Cala Llonga out of the marina approach channel but we found it buoyed off for swimming. There's also a large sign that states no anchoring.

Cala d'Or, a lovely unspoilt cala with a significant area roped off by swimming buoys. There were already two yachts at anchor and probably room for us however we decided to look at Cala Gran.

Cala Gran is a reasonably large and attractive cala. Even with the swimming buoys extended out there is still room for several yachts to anchor in sandy patches spread amongst the sea grass. We dropped the hook here for a lunchtime stop and swim and to reminisce. This is where the dream started for Bruce some 16 years ago as he recalls swimming out to a Heavenly Twins, "Patricia Mary" that was anchored here in the cala whilst imagining our own Heavenly Twins 'Camargue' anchored here. The feeling is indescribable! To realise a dream, the fact that we are now here sat aboard 'Flirtie' at anchor in a cala in the Balearics... fabulous.

Cala Gran

Next stop, Cala Ferrera, Esmeralda and Serena where there has been some significant development. These calas' were barely recognisable, certainly spoilt by hotels, apartments, innumerable restaurants and cafes. It's fair to say the place was packed....but not necessarily in a good way!


Cala Serena

Next, some new calas.

Cala Mitjana, an attractive triple cala with two beaches and room for at least 10 yachts as long as lines are taken ashore.


Cala Mitjana

Cala Arsenau, a narrow angled cala where yet again a line ashore is required but not much room to manoeuvre - unfortunately just as busy as Ferrera, Esmeralda and Serena.


Cala Arsenau

Our final cala for the day was Cala Marsal, a double cala with rocky cliffs, where we felt there was still room 'at the inn' but again a line ashore would be required.

If the forecast winds were in a different direction we would love to have stayed in Mitjana but Arsenau and Marsal would have been fine also.


Cala Marsal

...and finally Porto Colom. A very large natural and well protected harbour with a choice of berthing at either PortsIB or Club Nautico de Porto Colom who also maintain the mooring buoys. Price varies. We paid €27 per night, which included showers and water to fill tanks. Upon entering the bay we noticed several yachts at anchor just off the beach at Arenal Gran just before the mooring buoys.

We plan to spend the next few days here as strong winds are predicted.

Total distance this season: 788.11 miles


Comments