The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

day trip to Cala d’Or

We decided to catch the local bus for another trip down memory lane, this time to Cala d'Or. Flirtie was quite happy dancing around on her mooring buoy and we felt happy to leave her. We've concluded that the advantage of paying for a mooring buoy guarantees space around you so no one can anchor nearby which is important given the way that some cruisers set (or don't set) their anchors!

The bus didn't make it to Cala d'Or as it broke down just outside the town of Cala Egos. We didn't have a clue as to how far away we were from our destination or how long it would take for another bus to arrive but thanks to internet, GPS and google maps we discovered that we were only a short walk away.

First and closest was a visit to the marina. 16 years on and it's just as classy but has grown substantially to cater for growing demand. Forums and pilot books don't really mention this marina so given that we were passing the door we popped in to find out how much it would cost to berth a 12 x 4 m yacht. €75 a night, including IVA, water and electricity. Porto Cristo quoted €85.03 so pretty comparable considering. Both marinas confirmed that advance booking is essential to guarantee a berth as they're full most of the time.

From the marina we strolled along very quiet streets and into the town with an endless choice of restaurants. The number of restaurants has grown here and they're not necessarily quality eateries. The shops were just as enticing as ever. :-)

The highlight was revisiting the small cala and beach - just as we remembered it albeit busier now that we're in July. It was great to see the arrival of the beach seller man (original, but older) who can still vocalise "melonee, melonee," as people queue for a slice of melon, pineapple and/or mango.


time has stood still on this beach - priceless!


Comments