The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Menorca, Cala Degollador to Cala Santa Galdana (anchorage) Log

Yet again, another sleep deprived night and not because of the Frenchman anchored nearby but because of the swell as it managed to find its way into the cala, before deflecting off the rocks. You can virtually set your watch by it - just as the sun sets through to sun rise typically. We therefore give it a swell-ometer rating of 3/10.

On a more positive note we had great pleasure in asking the Frenchman to move as he was sat over our anchor. We wondered if he learnt anything here!

Surprisingly, the wind wasn't as predicted but instead from the SE. That would have been perfect yesterday for our crossing to Menorca but not so helpful today especially when we're heading SE after rounding Capo Dartuch to cala hop! We motored straight into the light wind for a short while popping into Cala Son Saura, a large, semi enclosed bay surrounded by a low rocky foreshore with dark pine trees and scrub behind.


Cala Son Saura

The sea was crystal clear, inviting us to anchor. However, we were keen to visit several other calas before deciding which one to stay in overnight. Sadly, our cala hopping ended when the wind strengthened, causing choppy seas and swell. At this point we scrutinised the pilot book for somewhere sheltered along the coast. This happened to be Cala Santa Galdana, reported to be once one of the most beautiful large calas in Menorca and the most sheltered anchorage on the south coast.

The cala was easy to identify a long way off the coast as there were several high-rise hotels and a beach at the head of the cala. No longer the most beautiful of calas but it certainly appeared to be sheltered from the wind. It wasn't particularly busy for a mid-afternoon so we found a nice spot with a view over a bridge and river heading inland and settled in for the evening.

Total distance this season: 835.82 nautical miles


Comments