The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Sardinia, Teulada to Malfatano (anchorage) Log

Leaving early meant no wind so the next 6 miles was spent motoring, hugging the magnificent coastline that's scattered with a surprising amount of Spanish watchtowers. It has to be said that Sardinia has a superb, unspoilt coastline. It's really magnificent and we're thoroughly enjoying it!

By the time we'd arrived at our chosen anchorage, Porto Malfatano an easterly wind was blowing hard but thankfully the bay has a number of anchorages that offer protection for all directions except south so we decided to anchor in the East cove near a small secluded beach surrounded by off-lying islands and rocky outcrops.

Whilst cruising along the coast we've noticed many yachts anchored in places that aren't mentioned in our pilot book (Italian Waters Pilot, 8th Edition) and unfortunately our charts are insufficiently detailed to show any potential anchorages. We have been curious to understand whether these yachts have been randomly dropping the hook or whether they are anchored in designated spots. Finding a small chandlery in Carloforte selling the local pilot book 'Magnamare 777 Sardegna e Corsica' allowed us to take a brief look and compare. Ideally we wanted to sit and compare pilot books side by side but this wouldn't have gone down well with the owner, especially given that we didn't wish to make an immediate purchase. Instead we discretely browsed through a couple of pages familiar to us, places that we've already visited. We've concluded that this pilot book is something worth purchasing should we choose to spend another season in Italian Waters because there are significantly more anchorages mentioned - the only downside is that they're written in Italian. ;-)

Total distance this season: 1235.79 miles


Comments