The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Sardinia, the ancient city of Nora (near Pula)

One of the main reasons why we've anchored near Pula is to visit the ancient ruins of Nora.

Nora is reported to be one of the most important archaeological sites on the island dating back to Punic, Carthaginian and Roman periods. It's also reported to be the oldest city in Sardinia.

Unlike Tharros, the only way we could get to see the ruins was by joining a guided tour, which was really informative as we were taken back in time to be immersed in the atmosphere of the ancient Roman town where we discovered ancient cobbled streets, cisterns, drainage systems and lots more.


drainage system

Walking around the site through arches and walls gave us some idea of the original size of Nora's huge buildings and luxurious villas decorated with beautiful mosaic floors made with the tiniest of tiles. Considering the age of the site and the fact that it's open to the elements the mosaics and buildings are in surprisingly good order, even the columns are original and still standing!


one of the mosaic floors

The ruins also extend out into the sea where at some point in the distant past the seaward section of the peninsula apparently fractured causing a large part of the city to slip beneath the waves which can be snorkelled over - that's tomorrow's entertainment sorted :-).

The area is surrounded by a breathtaking landscape overlooked by a Spanish tower.


Spanish watchtower

A walk up to and around the tower was included in the tour price and provided great views of the promontory and surrounding area.


looking across to the ancient city of Nora


Comments