The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Sardinia, Golfo di Azachena, North Bay (anchorage) near Cala Bitta

Bruce waiting for me... again!

Our anchor was well dug into sand and weed but our chain managed to lay itself over a rocky area during the night as we changed direction. As a result for much of the night rumbling noise reverberated through the hull which was quite noisy. To achieve a peaceful night's sleep we decided to re-anchor the following morning after a good look around the seabed to check for more rocks.

Huge boulders and forests of mediterranean macchia (evergreen shrubs) lie all around the bay. The strong aroma from these plants is certainly a characteristic of Sardinia and a smell that will never be forgotten because it's wonderful. Ashore there's a small hotel complex with a private beach and several smaller, secluded beaches all accessible by dinghy. A trip ashore to walk along the coastal path provided excellent views across the anchorage and surrounding area.



Latest weather predictions suggest that there is a 'Mistral' on the way. A strong NW wind coming over from the Gulf of Lion, France and heading towards the straits of Bonifacio, a narrow stretch of water that lies between Corsica and Sardinia. If predictions are accurate we can expect winds gusting up to 40 knots!


Mistral coming!

Following a 'team meeting' we decided that we'd rather not be anchored in any bay with winds in excess of 35 knots - our experience in Bosa last season was a lesson learnt so later this week we'll dash back to Cannigione to shelter at 'pontile Destriero' instead. It's not cheap at €50 a night (includes toilets/showers, rubbish, water and electric) but it certainly has good reviews for being sheltered and sitting out a Mistral.

In our opinion, this is the best anchorage this season... Bruce took a short video clip as a picture or two just doesn't do any justice but we hope this video does. Enjoy.



Comments