The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Sardinia, Cannigione to Isola Caprera, Porto Palma (anchorage) Log

Don't blink otherwise you'll miss it... all 36 seconds of video - proof of a cracking sail as we tacked out of the Golfo di Azachena and straight over the channel to anchor off Porto Palma, a large bay on the south side of Caprera... the sailing bit too a lot longer than 36 seconds ;-). 



The anchorage has several large concrete blocks sat on the seabed with a few metres of rope attached to a lightweight buoy floating below the surface - signs that once upon a time mooring buoys were here. We understand that it's possible to moor to one of these buoys just as long as you're willing to dive down and attach a rope!  We didn't relish the thought of diving down to attach ourselves to something that potentially hasn't been maintained in a long while so carried on looking for an area where there was no risk of our anchor or chain accidentally getting caught. Eventually we found an area free of concrete and rocks to drop the anchor into.

Caprera is one of the islands in the La Maddalena archipelago that lies NE of Sardinia. The islands are all composed of red granite and Mediterranean scrub. There are seven principal islands, three in the northern group: Razzoli, Santa Maria and Budelli and four in the southern group: La Maddalena, Caprera, Spargi and Santo Stefano. The whole area is a National Park and a permit is necessary to transit and visit the islands.

A permit can be obtain online at  Parco Nazionale Arcipelago di La Maddalena but we obtained our permit through the tourist office in Cannigione. If you visit in person there are some decent discounts available compared to the 5% discount online.
 
Total distance this season: 201.01 nautical miles


Comments