The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Bonifacio

Arriving early was sound advice as we have never seen so much activity in a harbour. It's bedlem but great fun to watch the arrival and departures of the many tripper boats, yachts and RIB's. Cruise ships also stop here but they anchor right outside the harbour and use their lifeboats to ferry passengers ashore. The most incredible sight however must be watching the arrival of super-yachts as they drop their anchor halfway down the inlet and go stern-to the quay at the very end of the marina.

The old town located at the top of the hill is accessible via a stepped zigzag cobbled path. Once at the top there are stunning views of the white limestone cliffs and walks along coastal paths. The limestone cliffs have eroded to such an extent that the town buildings now hang precariously over the edge - we don't know how the residents sleep at night.



We can highly recommend the local Bonifacien breakfast named 'Pain de Morts' (bread of the dead). A small sweet loaf with walnuts and raisins and very filling. It sets you up for the walk up the hill!

Bonifacio is a definite highlight on this year's cruise and a fabulous place.


Comments