The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Corsica, Porto Pollo to Sagone (anchorage) Log

We've just enjoyed two nights on a mooring buoy at Porto Pollo for free just because no one came to collect any money! :-)

Having decided to give the capital of Corisca, Ajaccio a miss we decided on another early(ish) start. As usual the day started out with no wind but by mid morning we were able to unfurl the sails and enjoy several hours under sail.

As each hour passed by the scenery became more impressive as the mountains became taller, greener and layered making for an impressive backdrop.

Sagone lies in the Golfe de Sagone, a wide sandy bay. Along this stretch of coast the prevailing winds come from the west during the afternoon but switch to east overnight. This particular bay is reported to suffer from swell... which we don't like! It is suggested that you deploy a kedge anchor which we did. It's the first time we've used it and it was easy to deploy. As predicted, during the evening swell rolled in and Flirtie stayed bows into it and we didn't roll.... we'll definitely be deploying a kedge anchor again if space and conditions warrant it. The only downside is that the land breeze created small wavelets that resulted in a tickly bottom so it wasn't the most peaceful night's sleep - there's just no pleasing some!

The view from the anchorage was stunning with a layered mountainous backdrop behind a long curved sandy beach. As for the small town, it was more of a resort town and unfortunately looked rather run down and extremely quiet - the season clearly hasn't started yet!

Total distance this season: 297.43 nautical miles


Comments