The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Positano to Amalfi (anchorage) log

Amalfi is barely 6 miles from Positano and with another calm day we motored slowly. It is truly a spectacular coastline. The coastal road caught our eye as it weaved tortuously in and out of deep gorges, across viaducts and through tumbling whitewashed villages. It's barely wide enough for two lanes of traffic and by the looks of things is probably the only road in Italy where it's virtually impossible to speed! At times we could see coaches having to negotiate a corner, stop and reverse back before continuing whilst traffic backed up.


working our way along the coast

Every bit of beach along the coast has been utilised, crammed with sun beds and parasols and/or beach bars which continued as we approached Amalfi town that lies at the mouth of a deep ravine surrounded by dramatic cliffs. The anchorage was just off the beach area. It wasn't busy so we dropped anchor in 7m on sand with just five other yachts.

Amalfi town has somehow retained an old fashion charm. It was extremely quiet compared to Positano. Our explorations started out in the main square where we stopped for coffee and cake at Pasticceria Pansa, founded in 1830 and one of the most visited places on the Amalfi coast with antique furniture, large gilded mirrors and chandeliers with a counter displaying a whole host of delicious looking cakes - and what a treat before we walked the narrow streets and alleys.


silverware, napkins and tablecloth



Shops are small and personal with a focus on lemons from huge fresh lemons to cakes, biscuits and limoncello liqueur. If it's not edible then you can bath in it with soap, bubble bath, bath crystals and hand-cream, even perfume. Lemons are also decorated on knives, forks, tea towels paintings, candles, plates, bowels... the list is endless. Like Positano there are the hand-made shoe shops where sandals can be customised with engravings or the strap colour changed depending on your attire - a clever idea indeed.


hand-made sandals, made in Amalfi

Whilst we loved Positano for its vibrant colours and narrow alleys unfortunately it was overrun with tourists and we much preferred the less touristy and probably more classy and calming ambiance of Amalfi.

Total distance this season: 747.43 nautical miles


Comments