The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

one hull aground

Spent two nights at anchor at Dandy Hole, an isolated anchorage with a depth of approx 2m that remains whilst the surrounding river dries out at low tide. Overlooked by high woods, this is a very peaceful spot, well sheltered and totally away from it all. Ideal for a BBQ (before anyone asks, we didn't eat all the food on the BBQ) and even Bruce was inspired to put his hand to some fishing, but the fish weren't biting.

Unfortunately on the second night, it was spoilt by a yacht that arrived and anchored too close to us at high tide so we then spent the night keeping a watchful eye on whether the boats would collide at low tide. Most yachts use majority of chain to anchor so their turning circle is minimal, however on a catamaran, keeping weight to the minimum we have a short length of chain and the majority of rope so our turning circle is much larger overall. I guess this yacht didn't consider this when he anchored.

Thankfully it was a calm evening so no problem, but we did move and re-anchor 100m away - only to find that at low tide we unfortunately sat in the mud just outside the hole, one hull still afloat, the other stuck firmly in the mud. By the time the tide had gone out, we were at a 10 degree angle. We didn't wish to be sat in the mud on the next tide, so concluded that short from re-anchoring again and then hope that we remain afloat it was easier to leave and get a buoy near Torpoint to catch up on some missed sleep!


Comments