The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Loctudy

Yesterday was a really windy day, the short waves coming down the river made our decision to stay on the boat pretty easy as it would have been a very wet and wild ride in the dinghy to shore.

Thankfully today we have a beautiful day and therefore a long walk around the area is called for.

We started the day with a walk to 'Plage de Langoz' which was sandy and rocky. We then walked through various streets in order to get a 'feel' for the place. We couldn't help but notice that several street names follow a pattern; Kergall, Kerpaul, Kerlannick, Kergroez, Kerstrat, Ker... If anyone knows why then please enlighten us.

Whilst sat having a coffee, we observed the hive of activity around the fishing port. Loctudy is clearly a very active fishing port. Fishing vessels even have their own basin and in late afternoons they arrive back with fish that are either sold in the markets along the quay and/or loaded onto lorries for transportation.

Located opposite Loctudy is Ile Tudy (it's not an island, it's a peninsula).

We then enjoyed a beautiful and scenic riverside walk along to Pont l'Abbe. The path was clearly marked with red/white markers, located in prominent positions on rocks, trees and lamp posts. If you went the wrong way, you would easily notice as the mark became a red and white cross. We were grateful because we 'fell-off' our tourist map early on in the walk!

The wooded estuary contained every shade of green imaginable and was beautiful. It was so peaceful, you could hear grasshoppers and the occasional cuckoo. We even saw Heron's up high in the tree tops with their young calling out for feeding. There are a few private islands along the river with bridges that link back to the mainland, adding to the beauty.

The walk was a little muddy in places, to be expected after all the rain we've had. Bruce was keen not to dirty his walking trousers which were clean on that morning. He did try his best but failed when he stepped into some mud that looked dry on the surface but was wet underneath!!

As we arrived at Pont l'Abbe the river narrowed. All along the quayside were park benches to sit on and admire the view. We didn't stay for long in Pont l'Abbe but we did have lunch sat along the river's edge - pizza slice and far breton (another Brittany speciality).

Pont l'Abbe is the capital of the Pays Bigouden region, noted for its traditional costumes and very tall coiffe (head dress). Unfortunately we didn't spot either.

Photos can be found in the photo gallery 'Loctudy'.


Comments