The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Odet river

It looked to be a good day for a BBQ anchored possibly overnight somewhere up the Odet river which goes up as far as Quimper.

We left our buoy and travelled up with the tide. The river winds past several chateaux and through beautiful wooded scenery for about 6 miles before opening out into a shallow bay. According to the pilot book it's navigable almost as far as Quimper, just as long as you remove your mast (not an option for us on this trip).

We were disappointed to see that the declared 'anchorages' were nearly all occupied by residential buoys so the opportunity to anchor was limited.

We did however find a secluded spot to anchor and have lunch, just off the Odet river named "Anse de St Cadou". The entrance was pretty narrow, with cross currents. But once through you were surrounded by trees and wildlife and presented with a lovely view of a grand mansion placed between the trees.



The BBQ was not on as the weather had a different agenda - drizzle then fine rain. Nothing was going to stop us from enjoying the moment, however we must have looked a strange pair, dressed in our yellow waterproofs and woolly hats, sitting at the front of the boat with hot cuppa in hands.

Bruce checked if there would be enough water for us to stay overnight and remain afloat (given the amount of food in the fridge) but unfortunately its springs so we would be sat in mud at some point.

It was getting late by the time we decided to up anchor and return back into the main river where we picked up a buoy just outside a lovely looking chateau named "Kerouzien" (picture above), which had manicured lawns and trees. We plan to stay for the next day or so.

Photos can be found in the photo gallery 'Benodet & the Odet river' sub folder 'Odet river'.


Comments