The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Concarneau old town

Upon arrival you couldn't help but notice that 50% of the yachts in the Marina belong to the Ile de Glenan Sailing school. Apparently all the antics start on a Friday so we carefully timed our arrival for mid-week.

Because of the marina cost and settled weather, we only planned to stay one night, so as soon as we arrived we headed for the main tourist attraction 'Ville Close', an old town hidden behind a medieval wall.

We were able to walk around the perimeter wall without charge as it's out of season (normally 6 euros each) before meandering around the town. The old town was made up of tourist shops selling all things Breton. We passed a Chocolatier 'Maison Larnicol', admired the display of chocolates of all shapes and sizes moulded into objects such as a sailing yacht, where even the sails were edible; a ladies heeled shoe with the inside filled with chocolates. The display was fantastic and priced accordingly! We ended up buying a hand full of posh 'pick-n-mix' equivalent but didn't scoff them straight away. Given the price, our pick-n-mix needed to be savoured and not rushed!

Whilst walking around the old town we found a traditional Breton bar so stopped and enjoyed a beer taking in the atmosphere of the place before heading back to the boat.

Given that Concarneau is such a popular place, the marina itself was smaller than we imagined and subject to heavy wash as the fishing fleet steam pass continuously -needless to say, we didn't sleep peacefully even though we were protected behind the wave break.

Next stop - Port Tudy on the Ile de Groix.

Photos can be found in the photo gallery 'Concarneau'.


Comments