The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

saddle sore on Ile de Groix (Morbihan)

Actually wearing shorts and t-shirts!

Started the day with a walk around Port Tudy. Bruce was in his element once we came across a 'Mr Bricolage' (equivalent to B&Q) so needless to say we spent at least an hour walking up and down each isle taking in it's range of products (I think he had withdrawal symptoms since leaving the UK).

Ile de Groix is the same size of Alderney - small, so perfect for hiring a bike to do some sightseeing around the island. This would have been a good idea if the weather had been cloudy, but we chose the hottest day by far - 31 degrees. Although enjoyable we both found it tough having not cycled for some time and forgetting that all the scenic points took you off-road for some distance. The views were wonderful, but we did have to call it a day by mid-afternoon as we were both worn out, hot and sweaty having covered three quarters of the island (the island is only 4 miles long by 1.5 miles wide).

Port Tudy is a small picturesque harbour but does have to cater for the Ferry that comes across from Lorient. It arrives several times a day and makes interesting viewing as it manoeuvres' within the port carefully missing all the yachts that are moored on the buoys nearby. You can feel the surge of water passing underneath you as it performs the task of mooring up or leaving port. It's certainly a close quarter situation and at times you feel that you need to hold your breath!.

The town 'Le Bourg' is centred around the church with the usual french shops; butcher, baker and not forgetting the Carrefour Supermarket.

Of all the ports we've visited so far, we rate this as one of the best.

During the evening, the wind shifted North-East (not good for Port Tudy) so the harbour became lively. This together with a french yacht rafted alongside who were talking until 6am, meant another sleepless night!!

Photos can be found in the photo gallery 'Ile de Groix'.


Comments