The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Auray

When we arrived we were slightly concerned that the road traffic noise from the "Kerplouz Bridge" would make for a disturbed night's sleep. However our worries were unfounded because during the evening and throughout the night there was hardly any traffic at all.

The only other and slightly concerning noise was from beneath Drummer. Every time the tide came in, we heard dozens of mullet swimming along Drummers waterline, we assume sucking the weed and plankton off her bottom. When spooked, their tails bumped against Drummers hulls creating quite a surprising and sometimes alarming noise - we've never heard anything like it before.

On the subject of fish, Bruce suddenly got the urge to try and catch one (after reading that they are reasonably tasty if cooked properly) and given that the odds looked to be in his favour checked his fishing gear to find that he didn't have a small enough hook so we had to walk what seems like miles to find a 'Comptoir de la Mer' to buy some. Like screws and nails it never ceases to amaze me that he never has the right type or correct size - how much fishing gear does one need?

Having purchased the hooks the weather turned wet and miserable again. Bruce is a fair weather fisherman so I don't foresee any catch landing on our plates soon. Never mind.

The old port of St Goustan is the most picturesque part of the town with its cobbled quayside, bars and restaurants. Beautiful and very old timbered houses overhang along narrow alleys up a steep climb to the church.

Over the ancient stone bridge which spans the river, the banks are also steep and wooded until you come to the town of Auray with its lovely church and in the centre 'Hotel de Ville'. On the outskirts of Auray (approx 2km) we found a hugh industrial estate with McDonalds, SuperU, Lidl, E'Leclerc (Waitrose equivalent) and of course the Chandlers where we purchased those all important fishing hooks.

Yet again, we were pleased that we stopped here for a few nights.


Comments