The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

La Roche Bernard

We've had really mixed weather over the past few days. The first couple were hot and humid bringing out the mosquitoes. Throughout the night we were kept awake by buzzing sounds around our ears. We were able to squash a few, however the odd one got away and returned with vengeance, as the next morning we both had been bitten. Enough!

We decided that we needed to make some nets to fit over the hatches and companionway. We came up with a couple of designs both needing elastic which we didn't have on board. Thankfully a small woollen shop in La Roche Bernard came to our rescue with exactly what we needed in order to fashion our covers (we already had the netting). Armed with supplies we returned to the boat ready to make our covers.

As co-incidence and luck would have it we got talking to a lovely couple from an Oday 34 owned by Alison and Steve. They were making new canvas covers for their bikes and very kindly offered us the use of their second sewing machine. Before the day was out, we had covers made for one back cabin and the companionway. I guess we will know if they work if we don't get any
bites!

The remaining few days were breezy with the occasional shower. For a river, the chop created by the wind was quite surprising causing much froth and made for a lively stay.

We spent a couple of enjoyable evenings with Alison and Steve sharing experiences, stories and ideas. One of the subjects discussed was what food related items we were missing from the UK. It's amazing what you can miss; Engish mustard, HP Sauce, Bacon, Cheddar cheese, Milk Chocolate digestives (although we found a packet but had to pay a premium!). Before the evening was out, they very kindly gave us a packet of cheddar from their supply, saying that they had plenty. Fantastic, this wedge of cheese will be worshiped, savoured and devoured very soon!

La Roche Bernard is a peaceful place with only a few small shops, bars, hotels and restaurants. The old quarter is packed with flower-decked houses. A tree lined gravel path follows along the river's reedy and rocky edge spanning the length of the port with park benches strategically placed in the shade of the overhanging trees. A couple of bars and restaurants overlook the visitor's moorings. Passing in between huge rocks the port continues into a small harbour where we admired a couple of lovely wooden boats amongst the modern day plastics.


Comments