The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Dinghy trip up ‘Riviere l’Estier’

If you want quietness, then this is the place to be. The only noise is the wind blowing in the trees, the birds within the trees and the cows and other farmyard animals in the background.

Not wanting to disturb this habitat, we decided to spend an hour or two paddling up river in the dinghy. Despite the drizzle we very quietly made our way keeping an eye out for anything that moved. We spotted yet another otter (probably the same one from the previous night), a couple of kingfishers, a heron, cormorants and many pond skaters as well as those elusive fish jumping for flies. We continued up river until it narrowed and the water became stagnant, covered with flies and midges.



The afternoon plan was going to be a circular walk around Foleux however having walked to the start point and seeing that we would get extremely muddy we decided against it and instead spend an hour or two in the bar, trading in our free tokens in exchange for either a crepe or kir breton - however the bar was shut - only opening Friday, Saturdays and Sundays out of season. So we missed out on a freebie.

So we then decided to walk around the small marina where we noticed that the vast majority of boats were British. La Roche Bernard was the same. We can see why though as it's a lovely river to explore. Next stop Redon.


Comments