The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Ile d'Yeu (Vendee)

At 36.90 euro's per night and a good weather forecast, we decided not to stay for very long on this 'millionaire's island'. Reading another HT's blog, HT Grey Dove he has recently experienced similar at Ars-en-Re having paid 39 euro's a night. To quote him "it's enough to make your eye's water" - we agree!

So on our whistle stop tour, we noticed that the main method of transport is the bicycle and given that the island is small, being a similar size to Ile de Groix I felt that hiring a bike for a day might be a good idea. Unfortunately Bruce's memories of our trip on Ile de Groix were still too raw so instead I suggested the 4.30pm trip on the 'petit train' thereby allowing us all day to explore the main town.

We therefore spent the majority of the day walking around the streets, visiting a small outdoor market selling island produce of goats cheeses, fruit and veg along with hot chickens, paella, sausages, galettes and crepes.

The place has a real Mediterranean feel with its white washed houses and shutters painted in various pastel shades; orange, baby blue, green and yellow along with hollyhocks and hydrangeas.



We noticed that a majority of cars were pretty old; deux chevaux (2CV), Renault 4, Renault 5, Citroën Méhari which just added to the ambiance.



The town was pretty busy with cars, bicycles and walkers coming and going along with the ferries and fishing vessels. There is also a heliport close by ... for all those millionaires who live on the island, we presume.

Arrived at the 'petit train' for the 4.30pm departure only to find out from the driver that he needed 8 people to make the trip viable and unfortunately for us we were the only two waiting so a sightseeing trip of the island was not to be.

We really enjoyed our short stay here, but we did feel that there were too many cars driving far too fast given the amount of pedestrians and cyclists around. Given the price, we would only come back outside of July and August when it's quieter and cheaper.

Whilst there are a few anchorages around the island, we felt that none of them offered enough protection to leave the boat unattended for the day whilst we explored.

We finished the day with a delicious evening meal of crab claws, accompanied by one or two glasses of wine. Rather expensive at 14 euro's but certainly memorable.



Comments