The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

boy's toys 7 - winter entertainment

As the nights begin to draw in and evening socialising becomes less frequent, it's apparent that we're starting to miss British TV and radio.....can you believe it?

Reading Tarians blog, Steve doesn't appear to be having the same problems with plenty of bedroom entertainment (point 11 - 10 things I have learnt in six weeks)....but I'm not quite so lucky here on Drummer ;-(

So here's what we believe is the answer following an evening's entertainment of "Strictly" aboard Festina with Barry and Steff - Satellite TV.

A trip to the local DIY store (Leroy Merlin - much, much bigger and better than B&Q) where we purchased a satellite dish for less than £25 including all the cables and an amazon order for the PC Satellite receiver "Hauppauge! WinTV-Nova-S-USB2" (£50) has given us 150+ free channels including all the BBC and ITV broadcasts.

We went for a 60cm satellite dish (rather than the smaller 45cm) because it should give us the same coverage in the western Med or Algarve next year where we hopefully plan to winter.

The installation proved to be simple with the satellite dish just clamped to an off cut of 40mm plastic drain pipe that we had onboard, wedged into our fishing rod holder together with the satellite receiver mounted in a plastic sandwich box alongside our switch panel close to where we position the Pc.





As for the picture quality, well it can't really be faulted and the sound is delivered by our stereo system so it's like sitting in a room with surround sound - Fantastic.....and of course its light (HT Cruisers - You'll really appreciate this) because we haven't had to invest in a TV.


Comments