The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

we have lift-out!

It's amazing how complacent you get when you've spent over 20 years in the same marina, you get to know the lift-out routine and know what is required of you and the marina staff. You don't think anything of it. However, this year things are different; different marina, different hoist and the language barrier!

Having watched a lift out of a yacht previously, we became aware that Drummer's backstays would have to be loosened and the boom would have to be lowered in order to fit in the travel hoist which is 'H' shaped. By 10am and backstay rigging now loose, we motored over to the hoist where the marina staff took our ropes and manoeuvred us into position. Drummer was then carefully lifted and transferred onto a trailer which was towed by a tractor to the technical area where we had access to water and electricity. It must be said, the care the staff provided was excellent albeit it took a while before we were able to actually start work (4½ hours to be precise because it included the compulsory French lunch break).



Over the years, we've learnt that it's best to deal with the slime, dirt or whatever you're faced with as soon as possible, ideally whilst still wet as it's all much easier to remove. I volunteered for the pressure washing of the hulls - it's something that I've always wanted to do and always envied the marina staff at Darthaven marina doing this satisfying, but wet and dirty job. With pressure washer in hand, I was in my element... those that know me, know that I'm dangerous with a pressurised hose (or any water hose for that matter) so Bruce stood well out of the way.



Some of you may recall that Bruce and I had a brief conversation last year regarding whether or not we should have antifouled Drummers centre pod given the additional weight we were carrying. The photo clearly shows who was right!! I stood well out of the way on this job, whilst Bruce scraped off all signs of nature which crunched under foot as he progressed.



Propellers next, we could have had a free plate of oysters for lunch from the starboard propeller!! No wonder we were struggling getting into the marina. We are used to having tube worms and mussels but oysters are a first for us. Strangely only one prop had oysters, the other was pretty clean.


starboard propeller


port side propeller

Onto the much 'cleaner' jobs next... cleaning and polishing.

[Thanks David and Jeanette for use of Grey Doves planks... Drummer is now sat nicely on them. By the way, this time they've mounted the planks vertically without any prompting from us.]


Comments