The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Rochefort in an out and out racing machine!

Tony and Joan own Pallettyne (previously Palletline), a 31' racing catamaran... similar in all respects to a giant hobie cat complete with trampoline decks and weighing in at just 2.5tons. No surprise she fast... 17-20 knots is common (David... yes even faster than Greydove) :-)





No surprises then that she's done pretty well in numerous races including two round Britain races.

The downside of course is that there isn't a great deal of comfort aboard so I must take my hat off to them both because we certainly wouldn't be able to live life so basic and considering their both in their 70's (sorry Tony/Joan if I've got that wrong and offended you)... but it certainly keeping them fit and agile.







Even Caroline decided to give the trip a miss on the basis of the trampoline decks and outdoor facilities... bucket and chuck it - ha-ha.

At over 6.2m wide arranging for her to be lifted ashore is rather challenging but the Capitainerie at Rochefort is sure he can help.

Having been up the Charente recently with Drummer, Tony was keen for our help so armed with the usual summer cruising kit... sun cream, water and a lifejacket Tony and I left La Rochelle bound for Rochefort once again.



On route we were boarded by customs (slightly worrying when my passport was back on Flirtie) but following a brief conversation in French (... it was basic!) they were satisfied.



At Rochefort we passed through the lock gates with just 30cm to spare - a great relief for Tony who didn't know the width of the entrance and was relying on the Capitainerie who hadn't mentioned anything when he quoted Pallettyne's width.

As a thank you Tony & Joan insisted on a meal out... very much appreciated but as I said really wasn't necessary.

Good luck with the lift out and hope all goes well with your daughter's wedding. Perhaps we'll even see you later in the season?


Comments