The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

VIP visit...

We take our hats off to Bruce's mum, Gaynor who came to visit us. We expected a reasonably large suitcase, less than practical shoes and unsuitable skirts along with some challenges around getting on/off and moving around Flirtie. Instead she arrived with a foldable bag, sensible flat shoes and trousers, bags of energy and quickly got used to moving around Flirtie - much to our relief.

We purchased a 'Pass Rochelais', which allowed us unlimited free travel on the local buses and the solar powered 'Bus de Mer'. We certainly got our value for money as we travelled several times a day using both methods of transport. This allowed us to visit the local market, stroll around the town, visit the supermarkets etc.



We were caught out yet again on the 15 August (another holiday) waiting for a bus to turn up... will we ever learn! We suspected no service but stood waiting there for 10 minutes anyway. Feeling now deciding thirsty and a little peckish a coffee was in order so we decided that it should be had overlooking Les Minimes beach at 'L'Equinoxe', a smart looking cafe/bar/restaurant located literally a few hundred meters away from the bus station and equally the boat. It made our eyes water as we departed with €27 for three coffees and three basic crepes - we didn't appreciate that they increase their prices on a bank holiday, weekend or after 6pm!





The 20 August saw us catching the mid-morning bus to spend a few enjoyable hours strolling around St Martin on the island of Ile d'Re.



St Martin is an ancient citadel and one of the major sites built by Vauban - full of bars, restaurants, cafes, smart clothes shops, fabric and ceramic shops. Deciding what ice-cream to have took us a while because we were really spoilt for choice :-)


decisions, decisions

It was far busier than we ever imagined with many tourists, bicycles and motor bikes coming from all directions as we walked in what we thought was a pedestrian area. Let's just say that it didn't make for a relaxing walk around with bicycles parked/dumped everywhere - sometimes 3-4 abreast, a constant stream of cyclists' pinging bells and motor bikers' revving engines was a constant distraction. Next time, we'll go out of season when it's a little less busy. Perhaps St Martin should consider a ban on motorbikes and bicycles in its centre - surely this would be welcomed by all.

Several afternoons and evenings were spent lazing in the cockpit, reading, chatting and eating along with watching the antics of new arrivals - all very relaxing and enjoyable.





A visit wouldn't be complete without an evening meal in the Vieux port, overlooking the harbour with the beautiful towers, nicely lit up by night. Seafood of course was on the menu... and excellent it was too!

Before we knew it, time was up and we were heading back on the bus to the airport. It was lovely to see you and catch up on the gossip from home and we look forward to seeing you later in the year. Skype soon. Xx


Comments