The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

seashells on the seashore

We noticed that the tide was going out so decided that it was possible for us to walk along the edge of the seashore to 'Pointe des Corbeaux', located at the extreme south-east end of the island. Should we happen to notice the tide coming back in we could just hop across to the coastal path nearby. That would save us from getting our feet wet.

Once again, the stretch of coastline was beautiful and so varied as each beach offered us something different. Some beaches were shingly, some weedy and some just endless golden sand. The only thing that was consistent was the amount of cuttlefish bones swept up.

With all the exposed land it came as a surprise to find a small harbour inlet. Very tranquil indeed.



As we casually walked along, Bruce kept stopping and digging up the sand, apparently hunting for cockles... whilst I kept a look out for 'that something special' that I could keep as a memento so, you can imagine it took us hours to reach the end of the island!


the hunter-gatherer... dangerous with rock and wooden stick in hand!

We stopped for lunch sat on a picnic bench located under a canopy of pine trees. We had the place to ourselves but couldn't help but notice that it must get really busy in the high season as there were loads of places to park cars and bikes.



As we continued our walk the next few beaches offered us shells... hundreds of them, all different colours, shapes and sizes... from limpets, whelks, scallops, cockles, clams etc. I didn't know what to do with myself for choice. Thankfully I had kept my empty sandwich bag so took the odd one or two larger shells (OK maybe a few more) so I could make my final decision upon returning back to the boat.



Eventually, we retreated back to the coastal path and followed it until we reached the lighthouse where we sat for a while taking in the scenery. We had over an hour to wait until the bus arrived so decided to continue along the path and take in the views until we reached a small village, La Croix where we eventually caught the bus back to Port Joinville.



Comments