The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Viveiro to Coruna Log

The latest weather forecast has predicted some windy conditions for a few days time, so we thought it prudent to choose Coruna as our next port of call given that there is plenty to see and do. Weather today is for little wind but a swell of WNW up to 2 meters.

We had an beautiful sunny day with good views of the exposed and rugged coastline once again scattered with wind turbines and lighthouses on the major headlands. With so little wind, and on the nose we were motoring again :-(



The swell was pretty gentle and certainly as predicted until we passed Cabo Ortegal where it increased to 3-4m and remained for several hours on our nose then later on our beam as we turned for the port of La Coruna. Thank goodness that there was so little wind as it could have been pretty nasty! It was interesting to see huge tankers disappear into the troughs and then reappear..... or was it us disappearing, hard to tell really.

Before we knew it Hurcules lighthouse came into view and whilst of no navigational significance on our route we knew we were close to Coruna. A few hours later we rounded the new breakwater and into the marina. There is a choice of marinas here, but we chose Marina Coruna on the basis that the pilot book indicated it was nicer and less affected by swell. As a bonus, we made use of our CA membership giving us 25% discount on berthing fees :-).

Total distance this season: 500.23 nautical miles


Comments