The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Coruna to Muxia Log

At last the winds have abated and we've got an opportunity to move on but now with so little wind it looks like we're motoring again!

As Hurcules lighthouse flashed away it wasn't long until we found ourselves in some really rolly waves and swell larger than predicted, probably still disturbed by the gales over the past few days. As Flirtie rolled from left to right and back again we were both trying to counterbalance the rolling affect - it must be good exercise for the midriff! Down in the cabin, things were occasionally banging against locker doors, the contents trying to escape to roll around on the cabin floor.

Visibility was hazy all day. The highlight of the day was a brief visit from some dolphins and Bruce spending some time on the VHF talking to 'Tonic' who we briefly met in Gijon. Unfortunately, they were having to return back to Coruna to have another sail repaired before returning back to their home port Dartmouth. Later we then tuned into the VHF again to listen to 'Wandering Star' talking to 'Tonic'- it was pure nosiness but passed the time away.

We arrived in Muxia mid afternoon to find the marina pretty empty and whilst mooring up (no marinero this time) I almost 'garrotted' myself on the invisible fishing line that the marina had laid out along each finger and pontoon to prevent seagulls from landing and doing what seagulls do best - poo!

Our stop here is literally overnight as we've got a weather window to pass the notorious stretch of coastline named the 'Costa da Morte', the 'Coast of Death'.

We both agreed that this is definitely the worst journey to date - more like an extended ride from Alton Towers!

Total distance this season: 554.18 nautical miles


Comments