The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Muros town

Where do we start... Firstly it's been really peaceful lying to anchor and just watching the world go by with the occasional sighting of dolphins. We assume that the dolphins are in the river hunting for fish which are probably encouraged in by 'bateas' (floating mussel rafts) nearby.

These rafts are approx 20m x 20m wooden platforms with huge ropes hanging down that mussels grown on. The fishing boats that work from them have specially adapted cranes on them that lift the ropes and collect the mussels.


Bateas raft

Muros town is totally unspoilt, picturesque and we loved every minute of our stay.

The town rises from the waterfront in tiers of narrow streets, with columns and arches, flights of wide steps, benches and stone porches built into house fronts - true Galego architecture. There are even a couple of secluded beaches here.

As we wondered down alleys and streets we passed several 'horreos' (grain stores) literally in back gardens and on the roadsides. These old grain stores stand on toadstools which stop rodents from climbing up and into the stores. They are surprisingly large structures and according to the pilot book the size of the 'horreos' represent the wealth of the family and/or town.


Horreos grain store

On several occasions throughout the day and night we heard what sounded like a single gunshot. A bellow of cloud appeared in the sky a few seconds before the actual loud 'bang' which then echoed around the hills - it certainly disturbs the whole town. Initially we thought that it was done to alert the lifeboat station (just like they do in Salcombe) but we can only assume it was to mark a special occasion.

The town was about to celebrate 'Corpus Christi' and the residents had created a carpet display made from coloured salt, soil, conifer and flower petals which ran through the main street. It wasn't there the previous afternoon so we can only assume that the whole community got involved. It must have taken hours and thankfully it wasn't a windy day because these beautiful displays wouldn't have lasted long.


adding the final touches



Bruce noticed that residents appeared to be 'giving away' Empanadas to nearby neighbours - whether that's part of the festival we're not sure. Having spent the day walking around the town we returned back to the boat for a well earnt rest. During the early evening we could hear a band playing and (using binoculars) could see a procession taking place. Shame we had deflated the dinghy else we would have stayed to watch.

This is definitely our favourite ria and town to date.


Comments