The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

pickled in Porto!

We were up bright and early for a walk along the boardwalk to the port lodges at Vila Nova de Gaia. We had a huge decision to make... which port lodge to visit? There are several, all clearly marked with their names in hugh letters across the rooftops: Croft, Taylors, Sanderman, Calem are just a few. By recommendation we chose the first one we came to 'Churchill's' where we were met and invited to sit down and try the tasting menu before being shown around the warehouse.

The 'tasting menu' covers three ports, starting with a glass of dry white port which went down a treat. We were told how it was produced and that it is generally served as an appetizer, the second, a reserve port accompanied by a dish of dried almonds from the plantation... the third, being the most expensive was a Tawny 20 year old. That should have been the end of the tasting however we were then provided with a glass of LB (Late Bottled) to try... clever, they are trying to get us drunk and it's working! Having tasted the LB port it just didn't compare to the 20 year old Tawny.



Following the tasting we were taken into the warehouse to watch a brief slideshow before being shown around the premises.



During the tasting we concluded that we should purchase at least a bottle to mark the occasion. Our budget doesn't allow for such luxuries but Bruce was keen, so keen that he mentioned that he would sacrifice his clothing allowance for this year... and mine for that matter as we walked away with two bottles!


clothing allowance blown!

We desperately needed to sober up so having left Churchill's we continued along the path towards the bridge where we passed several traditional boats that were once used to transport the wine casks downriver to the port of Douro.


barcos rabelos

Having crossed over the bridge we stopped for a brief rest and coffee break before catching the funicular uphill to Porto town, a very busy town with trams and hop-on/hop-off buses all coming and going. We eventually walked back down the hill to colourful Ribeira, located along the water edge and took the ferry across from Porto back to the opposite side.

Whilst walking back to the marina we passed a 'wash house' where several females were hand-washing clothes in tubs before putting them out to dry - even though washing machines are available it was a surprise to see hand-washing in this fashion still goes on.



Comments